My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the "Car audio gone wild" show this weekend and picked up 3 sets of JL audio speakers for $220. i will be keeping the boston amps, sub, and 6 disc head unit for now. for the doors i got 2 sets of JL component 6.5", the dash got the tweeters from the front set of door speakers. for the hatch i got 3.5" 2-way JL's. i will post pictures of the progress, any questions ask away

The goods

Remove the A-pillar with the 1 screw that holds it, then gently lift up the grill over the tweeter. it is held in by clips.

2.5" Boston from dash

fabricated an adapter bracket

tweeters done

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

3.5" Boston from hatch

New JL 3.5 2-way

the back section of this is held on by 8 screws

tuesday i am getting my adapter plates made to go from 6x9 to 6.5 made at my local audio shop, install will happen wed more pics to follow

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

6x9 Boston

Adapter plates

Front speaker

Rear speaker

And now i have 8 Boston speakers sitting on the shelf, the next project audio wise will be switching the head unit.

·
Registered
176 Posts
How do the new speakers sound? I am curious about replacing my stock 6x9's with something with more Bass and crisper highs. I just have the stock sound system without a subwoofer. I would love to add one though... :eyebrows:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
almost any after market speaker would sound better than the factory speakers. Even the boston speakers i pulled out had paper tweeters. i cant wait to remove the factory sub all it does is rattle. im gonna have to take the panel out again and try something different to stop that.

·
Registered
176 Posts
almost any after market speaker would sound better than the factory speakers. Even the boston speakers i pulled out had paper tweeters. i cant wait to remove the factory sub all it does is rattle. im gonna have to take the panel out again and try something different to stop that.
How hard would it be to find the sub panel and replace it in the Compass? I would love to add a sub, but I just have the basic radio and speakers and I would hate to have to have a big box sitting in the back. I would rather have the factory setup so I can keep the space in the back.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hmmm, I guess I have never really taken a look at the higher end Compass'. Is that the original location for the factory sub?

I have seen a few mods like that in the Patriot forums. Does a lot of those same mods work for the Compass'?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup that is the location for the factory sub, the patriot and the compass are based on the same platform so there is alot of stuff that is the same in the two vehicles.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I will have to look into that. Hopefully, it is just a little insert for the sub instead of replacing the entire sidewall. I could take a look around the local junk yards and look for that or see what I can find at the dealership.

Is there anyone that has made the switch that doesn't normally have the factory sub?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The guy who made that thread from the patriot forum had the normal sound system. Looks like he popped out the rivets that hold the cubby hole.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i wasnt very happy with the 1" tweeter in the dash, the lows and highs had too much distance between them. So like any good installer i cut the holes bigger and stuffed in my set of 3.5" JL 2-way speakers. I am very happy with the sound of everything now. i used a utility knife, but a dremel tool would be alot easier.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The dash must be different on the 2011's because it looks like it is a one piece on mine so that you cannot just pop off that part to get to the tweeter like yours. :(

Thanks for the info and links to the Patriot Forum. I will have to check some more stuff out. I am really interested in getting new speakers and especially a sub. :woot:

I have not had an aftermarket sub system in a long time! My last vehicle was a 2007 Ford Focus with the Sony system in it and 8" sub in the trunk. It was okay, but the lows were not very powerful, at least not compared to my previous systems which have composed of 2 10's and 1 12" on previous builds.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2007 Ford Focus with the Sony system in it and 8" sub in the trunk. It was okay, but the lows were not very powerful, at least not compared to my previous systems which have composed of 2 10's and 1 12" on previous builds.
Thats exactly how the sub is that comes with the boston system, it chokes on the lows. every day i get a little more tempted to put in my 2 amps and 2 12's and destroy my cargo space :spinning:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would love to have a couple of subs in the back, but I need the cargo space too. :(

I wonder if there is a mod for mounting the spare somewhere's else (just in case for emergencies) and stash a sub in it's place.........?:eyebrows:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
roof or hatch?, i would rather not carry a spare than to stick one where it didnt belong. unless of course it was a road trip then that spare is a must. im thinking when i replace my head unit im gonna build that 8" box and stick something decent in there. the factory sub box wouldnt have enuf air inside for a decent sub

·
Registered
176 Posts
roof or hatch?, i would rather not carry a spare than to stick one where it didnt belong. unless of course it was a road trip then that spare is a must. im thinking when i replace my head unit im gonna build that 8" box and stick something decent in there. the factory sub box wouldnt have enuf air inside for a decent sub
I am not sure. It is just a thought because I really don't want to lose any cargo space, but still want some decent bass. :D Oh, sounds like a rap...

Cruizin' in my Compass
You know you can't touch this!
Needed some Bass
Without losing any space!

I know I shouldn't dare,
But I ditched the spare.
Flat tire, gotta wait,
But at least it sounds great!

:spinning:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Great upgrade!

I love your mod install. Regarding the factory sub. Yes there is rattling coming from that area but I found out that its the seatbelt guides that make the noise when I did some exploration. I fixed the problem.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thank you. ya mine was the same thing regarding the seatbelt rattle. i also added sound deadening material between the sub and the body. now im rattle free :), for now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts