My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an email announcing a navigation map update for my 2018 Compass. I am unable to download the map update because my application version appears to be from an early 2018 build which uses MY17.5 software instead of MY18.

My application version starts with: USA-MY17.5_GR18.7.0-20170706.

I contacted HERE customer support today at 1-866-422-8182 and they opened a case telling me to expect 2 weeks before getting another update.

The USA update site is here: Uconnect® | VP4R ASO 8 | HERE

Anybody else having trouble updating maps? I mainly use CarPlay but I would like to have updated maps for when I don't.

Curiously, I have always noticed certain features advertised for the 2018 model year are missing, e.g. now playing music on the instrument cluster screen, and I wonder if my 17.5 software is to blame. I hope this incident can move my radio into the modern era with an official update.

For what it's worth, I have never received any UConnect OTA updates either. Checking the UConnect website for my VIN says no updates are available.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recently got an email announcing a navigation map update for my 2018 Compass. I am unable to download the map update because my application version appears to be from an early 2018 build which uses MY17.5 software instead of MY18.

My application version starts with: USA-MY17.5_GR18.7.0-20170706.

I contacted HERE customer support today at 1-866-422-8182 and they opened a case telling me to expect 2 weeks before getting another update.

The USA update site is here: Uconnect® | VP4R ASO 8 | HERE

Anybody else having trouble updating maps? I mainly use CarPlay but I would like to have updated maps for when I don't.

Curiously, I have always noticed certain features advertised for the 2018 model year are missing, e.g. now playing music on the instrument cluster screen, and I wonder if my 17.5 software is to blame. I hope this incident can move my radio into the modern era with an official update.

For what it's worth, I have never received any UConnect OTA updates either. Checking the UConnect website for my VIN says no updates are available.
I feel your pain! I have the 2016 map data base installed (in a 2018 Compass) and HERE says I have the latest and greatest. Then they said I would receive an OTA software update in May. Didn't happen, now they say before the end of the year.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel your pain! I have the 2016 map data base installed (in a 2018 Compass) and HERE says I have the latest and greatest. Then they said I would receive an OTA software update in May. Didn't happen, now they say before the end of the year.
I believe my maps are Q4 2016 as well. Sorry to hear. I also did not get the OTA update. Will update if and when I hear back about my open case.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It gets better. When I input my unique Application Version on HERE's website I get: "Please enter a valid application version. " (SIGH)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It gets better. When I input my unique Application Version on HERE's website I get: "Please enter a valid application version. " (SIGH)
Same message here. :(

Is your version a MY17.5? My thought is I have an early build (built 11/17) without the MY18 software.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, USA-MY17.5_ also. Wish I could get this fixed - like the Nav system, but the maps are SO outdated!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good news. Today I was contacted by a Uconnect representative from FCA corporate by phone.

The rep provided some background information to help understand why the car is not eligible for update. The relevant part of the application version is 18.7, which is too old to be registered for their Over-the-Air (OTA) update system.

The rep said there is a solution available which may not have existed a few months ago when I last tried: Vehicles with 18.7 (even in MY17.5) can now be updated to version 21.9 at a dealership. I was previously told by my dealer several months ago that no updates are available when I tried to get the unit updated to fix some volume control issues.

If the dealer states the unit is not eligible for update, I was told to inform the dealer "Chrysler says there is an update in the Dealer Update Portal" even for this MY17.5 18.7 version and to have the dealer call Uconnect for more specific information if they cannot find it.

The 21.9 version is still not recent enough to install a map update. Once the car is updated to 21.9, a phone call to Uconnect customer service can register the unit for OTA updates. Once registered they will force push an OTA update request to my specific unit which will bring the unit to the latest application version available for the vehicle — at which point I will be able to purchase a map update.

I believe this is reasonable even through it took so long to get a path to update the software. I was expecting to never have the car software updated let alone a map update. The NHTSA website states there are a lot of bug fixes in recent Uconnect software which I am looking forward to enjoying.

A few days ago a rep from HERE maps (navigation.com) followed up with me and told me there was nothing they could do. I contacted @UconnectCares on Twitter around the same time and that's the rep who contacted me today with this solution.

Next step is a trip to the dealer to get the 21.9 software update. It'll likely be a couple weeks until I get the car over there since I have upcoming road trips planned, but I'll update here as things progress.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good news. Today I was contacted by a Uconnect representative from FCA corporate by phone.

The rep provided some background information to help understand why the car is not eligible for update. The relevant part of the application version is 18.7, which is too old to be registered for their Over-the-Air (OTA) update system.

The rep said there is a solution available which may not have existed a few months ago when I last tried: Vehicles with 18.7 (even in MY17.5) can now be updated to version 21.9 at a dealership. I was previously told by my dealer several months ago that no updates are available when I tried to get the unit updated to fix some volume control issues.

If the dealer states the unit is not eligible for update, I was told to inform the dealer "Chrysler says there is an update in the Dealer Update Portal" even for this MY17.5 18.7 version and to have the dealer call Uconnect for more specific information if they cannot find it.

The 21.9 version is still not recent enough to install a map update. Once the car is updated to 21.9, a phone call to Uconnect customer service can register the unit for OTA updates. Once registered they will force push an OTA update request to my specific unit which will bring the unit to the latest application version available for the vehicle — at which point I will be able to purchase a map update.

I believe this is reasonable even through it took so long to get a path to update the software. I was expecting to never have the car software updated let alone a map update. The NHTSA website states there are a lot of bug fixes in recent Uconnect software which I am looking forward to enjoying.

A few days ago a rep from HERE maps (navigation.com) followed up with me and told me there was nothing they could do. I contacted @UconnectCares on Twitter around the same time and that's the rep who contacted me today with this solution.

Next step is a trip to the dealer to get the 21.9 software update. It'll likely be a couple weeks until I get the car over there since I have upcoming road trips planned, but I'll update here as things progress.
Outstanding! Thanks for posting this information, I will be scheduling a visit to the dealership!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Using the info provided by advhawk, sent a letter to the dealership's service department. Got a phone call from the service manager - taking the Compass in tomorrow to attempt the update. Fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Using the info provided by advhawk, sent a letter to the dealership's service department. Got a phone call from the service manager - taking the Compass in tomorrow to attempt the update. Fingers are crossed.
Did not go as planned. It accepted the upgrade, but the radio was bricked in the process, will not turn on or boot. Dealership has ordered me a new radio.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did not go as planned. It accepted the upgrade, but the radio was bricked in the process, will not turn on or boot. Dealership has ordered me a new radio.
I’m sorry to hear that. My Jeep is at the dealer now and will be upgraded tomorrow. Hope it all works.

The TSB for the 21.9 upgrade on the public NHTSA website refers to strict requirements for preparing the update USB stick for dealers. My dealer called me today to say they kept getting a “corrupt” download from the dealer portal, but they found a tech which had a known good USB stick with the 21.9 upgrade and so they are waiting until tomorrow for that tech to bring it in.

I would contact Jeep corporate via @UconnectCares on Twitter for any escalations. It was slow getting started but they have followed up a lot recently including phone calls to my dealer today reminding them of the correct process as I brought it in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’m sorry to hear that. My Jeep is at the dealer now and will be upgraded tomorrow. Hope it all works.

The TSB for the 21.9 upgrade on the public NHTSA website refers to strict requirements for preparing the update USB stick for dealers. My dealer called me today to say they kept getting a “corrupt” download from the dealer portal, but they found a tech which had a known good USB stick with the 21.9 upgrade and so they are waiting until tomorrow for that tech to bring it in.

I would contact Jeep corporate via @UconnectCares on Twitter for any escalations. It was slow getting started but they have followed up a lot recently including phone calls to my dealer today reminding them of the correct process as I brought it in.
Update to the update: Once I got the Compass home, I pulled the radio's fuse, waited 5 mins, plugged it back in and the radio booted and is working A-OK - 21.9 application version. Just got off the phone with Uconnect, they will be pushing the OTA update to my radio, then it is off to HERE.com for maps. BTW, after you get 21.9 there will be no map data base in the radio, everything works except Nav. There are quite a few upgrades in the application, 16 or 17 themes, functionality to disable the parking brake to work on the rear brakes, and other things I have yet to explore. Best of luck tomorrow with your update, and thanks for sharing this information! I am in your debt sir.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Heard from Uconnect this morning, I now have a case # and case manager. There are 3 OTA updates I need (after 21.9 was installed by the dealer) - 22.61, 22.64 and 39.5. Then I can purchase maps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great news @Techmike! I am about to go pick up my Compass from the dealer following a successful upgrade to 21.9 according to them.

Glad to be helpful! Good to know about the multiple OTA upgrades required and to expect navigation data to not yet be present. Looking forward to bug fixes and trying out the new features!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Compass is back and it's on USA-IR-21.9.0-20180516.

I called my Uconnect case manager and she told me to expect the update to appear before Friday.

I noticed 15 new themes (there were 2 before) and a new AT&T Wi-Fi Hotspot app. The navigation app is not functional and the SiriusXM Travel Link Weather Map also does not work. There is no longer a large overlay when I adjust climate controls.

Overall the update works fine! I still have working CarPlay — and even wireless CarPlay using a dongle — so I'm set for now while I wait on the further upgrades.

From what I can tell on other forums, 39.5 is a more modern version with a date stamp of 2021-02-01.

Attempting to put my full application version in the navigation.com form no longer shows an invalid version message but rather a message stating no navigation updates are available. I suspect I'll need to wait for all the OTA upgrades before I can buy the maps. (I would not have tried to install or buy them until all of the required OTA upgrades are done.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm still working with my case manager on getting the OTA updates.

I believe the slow response was due to my car having a replacement radio installed by the dealer under warranty. I suspect they were looking at the original factory unit telemetry on their end, so the radio did not appear as updated to 21.9 on their side (or maybe not active at all).

I sent over the details for my new radio yesterday and was told today it's being worked on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was scheduled to get the 1st OTA today (8-11), but my Compass is back to the dealer for a trans fluid leak for the 4th time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was scheduled to get the 1st OTA today (8-11), but my Compass is back to the dealer for a trans fluid leak for the 4th time.
I saw the picture from the other thread. :( Sorry to hear it. Glad it's under warranty at least.

I had a lot of trouble with the Auto Stop/Start in the first 2 years but after a few bad batteries replaced under warranty and the TSB for the bigger hood switch things have been very stable. I had some oil consumption early on but perhaps the latest recall may have improved it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My Compass is back and it's on USA-IR-21.9.0-20180516.

I called my Uconnect case manager and she told me to expect the update to appear before Friday.

I noticed 15 new themes (there were 2 before) and a new AT&T Wi-Fi Hotspot app. The navigation app is not functional and the SiriusXM Travel Link Weather Map also does not work. There is no longer a large overlay when I adjust climate controls.

Overall the update works fine! I still have working CarPlay — and even wireless CarPlay using a dongle — so I'm set for now while I wait on the further upgrades.

From what I can tell on other forums, 39.5 is a more modern version with a date stamp of 2021-02-01.

Attempting to put my full application version in the navigation.com form no longer shows an invalid version message but rather a message stating no navigation updates are available. I suspect I'll need to wait for all the OTA upgrades before I can buy the maps. (I would not have tried to install or buy them until all of the required OTA upgrades are done.)
Is there a way to download the 21.9.0 software update yourself or it's only on the dealer portal?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is there a way to download the 21.9.0 software update yourself or it's only on the dealer portal?
Came across this.
Tonigth swiss time on my Server.

www.mydrive.ch

Login:

Username: [email protected]
Password: gasolio

Not sure if it's helpful but I noticed that there are software updates for jeep compass. Im currently on this version ( included picture) and not sure what to use to update to the lastest
Font Screenshot Audio equipment Technology Gadget

1 - 20 of 69 Posts