My Jeep Compass Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Is there a way to download the 21.9.0 software update yourself or it's only on the dealer portal?
No official way as far as I know. Dealer did it for free on goodwill, my car is out of warranty.
Im currently on this version ( included picture) and not sure what to use to update to the lastest View attachment 15457
That’s the same application version I had on my 2018. Best path is dealer I’d think. They can be on the hook if the update goes sideways for any reason. Be aware updating may reset your navigation map database! It did for me even at the dealer. My navigation does not work for now. That’s probably why we never got an official way to update early 2018 Compass radios until the paid map update came out.

Uconnect Customer Care is still working on getting my car updated to the latest. There’s a specific update path, probably since upgrading directly to the latest may brick the radio. I plan to purchase new maps later this month to replace my missing map database.

Would highly recommend 21.9 over what you have now, if you can deal with no nav. Lots of bug fixes from the early software in 18.7.

·
Registered
54 Posts
No official way as far as I know. Dealer did it for free on goodwill, my car is out of warranty.

That’s the same application version I had on my 2018. Best path is dealer I’d think. They can be on the hook if the update goes sideways for any reason. Be aware updating may reset your navigation map database! It did for me even at the dealer. My navigation does not work for now. That’s probably why we never got an official way to update early 2018 Compass radios until the paid map update came out.

Uconnect Customer Care is still working on getting my car updated to the latest. There’s a specific update path, probably since upgrading directly to the latest may brick the radio. I plan to purchase new maps later this month to replace my missing map database.

Would highly recommend 21.9 over what you have now, if you can deal with no nav. Lots of bug fixes from the early software in 18.7.
Will there ever be a straight path to update to the lastest software so people like us won't ever have to go through this? Am going to the dealership today (8/16). Keep y'all posted

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can attest to all of this, as our 2018 Compass is currently at the dealer. I found this forum as I was in the waiting room. We had the uConnect replaced last year under warranty, but it still had the MY17.5 application version (so no OTAs). They did admit to not updating it when it was replaced in July of 2020 because they knew the version available (v18.7) was buggy to begin with and, according to them, hadn't corrected the issues v21.9 fixes. Today they are updating it to v21.9, but no goodwill there, I am paying $99.95 for the programming fee (brought down from the initial $150 quote). They did tell me that the update they are doing includes a map update, so hearing that the NAV map database gets tanked in the update process is good to know, as I will have them test this before I pick it up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Heard from Uconnect this morning, I now have a case # and case manager. There are 3 OTA updates I need (after 21.9 was installed by the dealer) - 22.61, 22.64 and 39.5. Then I can purchase maps.
Just picked up my Compass...am on the same boat. No NAV, thanks to the information posted here, I called uConnect and they said the same thing....need to wait on the 39.5 update (they said it could take up to 2 months :/ ). Hoping these can be pushed out rather than have to wait for a batch release.

* I told them that I was going to lose the maps, as stated in this forum, they said it shouldn't happen, but it did. No charge for the update. (in case that helps anyone who's getting charged for this service).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just picked up my Compass...am on the same boat. No NAV, thanks to the information posted here, I called uConnect and they said the same thing....need to wait on the 39.5 update (they said it could take up to 2 months :/ ). Hoping these can be pushed out rather than have to wait for a batch release.

* I told them that I was going to lose the maps, as stated in this forum, they said it shouldn't happen, but it did. No charge for the update. (in case that helps anyone who's getting charged for this service).
So we will be able to purchase it on the HERE site when it is released or only on OTA? Was the NAV the only thing you lose? Did you notice an improvement in your radio?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So when I entered the application version on the HERE site, it says no map update available (I think someone mentioned this happened to them too). I called uConnect, they did say that I needed to call them with the updated application version, and they would force/push the v22.6 OTA. They also told me that I would need v39.5 before I could update/install my maps. I own a 2018 Grand Cherokee that recently got an OTA, and when I purchased the map update from HERE, they sent me a USB with the v39.5 update that was required to be installed prior to updating the 2020 maps (just did both updates today, zero issues). I am hoping this is also the case for the Compass map update.

Of note...MY17.5 will not get any OTA updates to the software. It will need to be done at the dealer/shop. It took 3 version updates to get to v21.9 from v17.5. Once you are at v21.9 (which is the most recent version they will have on the dealer portal), OTAs will then be available for the Compass (someone has already commented this here, I am just confirming as it was the same thing uConnect support told me.)

I see a lot more apps available, can't recall which ones but the screen has more icons than it did before. I should have done a before/after screen comparison. I was told the apple/android play was improved along with a lot of other things from the MY17.5 version. We just drove the Compass home (11mi), can't say noticed any improvements other than what I was told. I'll be calling uConnect tomorrow and will update on the next steps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So when I entered the application version on the HERE site, it says no map update available (I think someone mentioned this happened to them too). I called uConnect, they did say that I needed to call them with the updated application version, and they would force/push the v22.6 OTA. They also told me that I would need v39.5 before I could update/install my maps. I own a 2018 Grand Cherokee that recently got an OTA, and when I purchased the map update from HERE, they sent me a USB with the v39.5 update that was required to be installed prior to updating the 2020 maps (just did both updates today, zero issues). I am hoping this is also the case for the Compass map update.

Of note...MY17.5 will not get any OTA updates to the software. It will need to be done at the dealer/shop. It took 3 version updates to get to v21.9 from v17.5. Once you are at v21.9 (which is the most recent version they will have on the dealer portal), OTAs will then be available for the Compass (someone has already commented this here, I am just confirming as it was the same thing uConnect support told me.)

I see a lot more apps available, can't recall which ones but the screen has more icons than it did before. I should have done a before/after screen comparison. I was told the apple/android play was improved along with a lot of other things from the MY17.5 version. We just drove the Compass home (11mi), can't say noticed any improvements other than what I was told. I'll be calling uConnect tomorrow and will update on the next steps.
Just from an early post I posted. I was wondering if the v22.6 can manually be installed from the files on this find.

Came across this.
Tonigth swiss time on my Server.

www.mydrive.ch

Login:

Username: [email protected]
Password: gasolio

Not sure if it's helpful but I noticed that there are software updates for jeep compass.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Another update: Got of the phone with uconnect support and was told once your radio gets to USA-IR-22.64.0. You can purchase the new 39.5 update along with the 2020 maps. Included pictures. Wish the was a way to get that file. I noticed it says 2018 to 2020 compass so I don't understand why we still have to wait. Also like they forget about us 2018 family.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK, so it will work out like it did for my GC. That helps, means we're only one OTA away once you have 21.9 installed (which is not available via OTA, was dealer installed).

·
Registered
54 Posts
So has anyone tried to install the update provided in the earlier post I provided? Am asking because the dealership refuses to do the update only because I already had the radio replaced due to previous radio going bad from update.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just wanted to share if anyone is interested in getting the update for USA-IR-21.9.0-20180516 if dealership refuses to do it. I'm happy to say I got the the files including maps for those who lose the navigation maps after update. Thanks to Gregory from infotainment. Just trying to find the next update files after this one. Let you know if like me post.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So has anyone tried to install the update provided in the earlier post I provided? Am asking because the dealership refuses to do the update only because I already had the radio replaced due to previous radio going bad from update.
So I gave it a shot, downloaded the 22.6 update. The Compass had 21.9 installed, it upgraded to 22.6 successfully. Still no map. I took the 39.5 USB I got with the maps for my 2018 GC, and it actually worked on the Compass and updated it to 39.5, it also restored the 16Q4 set of maps that was installed by default. I am now on 39.5, with maps. I still ordered the 2020 set of maps from HERE.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So I gave it a shot, downloaded the 22.6 update. The Compass had 21.9 installed, it upgraded to 22.6 successfully. Still no map. I took the 39.5 USB I got with the maps for my 2018 GC, and it actually worked on the Compass and updated it to 39.5, it also restored the 16Q4 set of maps that was installed by default. I am now on 39.5, with maps. I still ordered the 2020 set of maps from HERE.
Glad to hear it work and was able to help out. Did you notice an off road pages on the 39.5 update in the compass? It's a feature for the grand Cherokee, Wrangler and Gladiator.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad to hear it work and was able to help out. Did you notice an off road pages on the 39.5 update in the compass? It's a feature for the grand Cherokee, Wrangler and Gladiator.
No off road pages added to the Compass (I do have it on my GC).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I can confirm this same procedure worked in my car: starting with 21.9, updated to 22.6 and then 39.5. Since I'm on the correct application version I was able to order my maps update today. I also have my original old maps working again.

I used a brand-new SanDisk Ultra Dual Drive Go 64GB USB Type-A/USB Type-C Flash Drive ($12.99) for the updates formatted in macOS Disk Utility as FAT32. I simply copied over the files from the update zip to the drive for each update after formatting each time.

Thanks so much for sharing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can confirm this same procedure worked in my car: starting with 21.9, updated to 22.6 and then 39.5. Since I'm on the correct application version I was able to order my maps update today. I also have my original old maps working again.

I used a brand-new SanDisk Ultra Dual Drive Go 64GB USB Type-A/USB Type-C Flash Drive ($12.99) for the updates formatted in macOS Disk Utility as FAT32. I simply copied over the files from the update zip to the drive for each update after formatting each time.

Thanks so much for sharing.
Glad it worked!!

Just FYI, I ordered the 2020 maps, and there is some problem getting an activation code. They are telling me it's an issue with the service HERE and FCA uses. :/ I ended up returning the map update as it won't work. Since I at least have maps/NAV back, not in a great hurry so will wait until the activation code issue is resolved. Do have a case open with uConnect at this time. I'll re-purchase the maps once they tell me the activation process works. Will update the thread.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk
273 Posts
Is there a number to call UConnect? I was told that map updates are automatic for a certain time length.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts