My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 09 Compass with a manual transmission. Just got it second hand with 100k on it. Had a odd noise when travelling at highway speeds but blamed it on the tires.
Just had the clutch replaced and now there is a definite thunking noise at 30 mph it gets smooth the higher the speed. Gear doesn't matter, clutch in or out doesn't matter. There is nothing until you get to 30 but it is quite plain at that point. My instincts say a driveline line or transaxle. Anyone else have this problem. I did note when under it today that the u joints on the engine side are slightly off center compared to the rear axle. Maybe by 5 to 10 degrees.

·
Registered
3 Posts
FWIW, my Jeep (not manual) was very jerky between 30 and 60. Turned out to be an ignition coil. A friend replaced it Sunday and it runs well now. (Well, except for the transmission which is--again!!!--giving me trouble. Installing a transmission cooler tomorrow--we'll see!!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but I have taken a couple of my old mech friend with my on a ride. What we get is a rhythmic thump, started right off, as noted by my friend. It becomes pronounced at 30 kph and by 50 is gets a bit smoother. I was hoping a kind individual with a manual could check the rear drive shaft alignment. My mech buddy was saying that on a short two piece driveline you may have an offset or not. With a tech manual he is not sure. If its not that, then, I would start thinking cv axle. The rhythmic thump reminds me of a tire with a shifted belt. Always the same place but changing in frequency as speed changes. It is truly speed related and revs and gears are not an issue.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You want to eliminate Tires!!!

Ply separation (usually visible)
belt moved twisting threads
other key defecct throwing it off.

Try rotating front to back inspecting each wheel in the process and examine brakes and bearings while wheels are off for issues.

Full discription in a signature helps a lot. Engine, drivetrain (FWD/4WD) etc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks
I have a limited edition 4wd 2.4L. Manual trans. Just had the clutch done and since then the problem showed up. I did jack the front end up and spin the tires. No noticeable wobble and the bearings had no play. Used a pry bar to check ball joints etc and its all tight.
Tried to put her in gear and run it to speed but the back end kept trying to engage. That's about all extra I can add.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update. My mechanic replaced the front left wheel bearing. I haven't been underneath to check the driveline alignment but I'm just happy to be driving a quiet vehicle again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts