My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have the big sound package, but I get a fair amount of what sounds like the plastic body panels vibrating when there's a lot of bass ..

Anyone else getting that?

I know if you're building a serious stereo that vibration dampening foam would be part of the plan ... but I don't know it that's very lease friendly.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
One thing I do know is there is a good bit of insulation on this car. The only thing I hear in mine, is if I am listening to any music that has any kind of bass in it, at a loud volume, I get a popping sound, in time to the music. I don't listen to it deafeningly loud or anything, but a little volume is nice. Figured it was just me, but it is an annoyance. It is just hard to get it to that perfect volume to tell if it is actually the car or just a particular song. I don't think I hear it playing the same song on my stereo in the house, but will have to listen harder. Glad to know I am not the only one noticing, but all those surveys I have gotten in the mail, I have made a point to mention it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
wierd, i havent experienced anything yet, but i will keep my ears open.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've noticed that when listening to FM radio but not from Sirius. I haven't listened to any CD's yet. I'm heading on a trip this weekend so maybe I'll throw in a CD and check it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i've noticed it as well, especially with rock songs with heavy bass. I have the Boston Acoustic sound system, and have noticed on some songs that when i look in the rearview, it looks like the liftgate window is vibrating.

and it does pick up on bass from cds more than my stereo. i really noticed it when i was listening to a cd a group made on their own, and the production quality wasn't that good. at home, or on the mp3 player, all yo could hear was the music, but in the compass, you could hear them breathing into the mics.

all-in-all, i just manually adjust my bass settings way low to make up for it, so i don't blow the speakers (or my ears). :wink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this problem too and my Compass is currently in the shop seeing what they can do about it. You shouldn't have to turn down the bass in a brand new car to avoid it making noises. I'm in another Compass in the meantime and there's no problem with the radio in it so I guess we'll see. :wink:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Do you have the factory basic or the Boston Acoustic system? I have the Boston Acoustic in mine and have no problems. Even when you turn it up :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a problem with the non-premium speakers. Took it in for an oil change today, complained about a distorted speaker, they have a notice to replace all non-premium 6x9 speakers so they will be replacing them all.

Not like I got an actual notice in the mail or anything though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is an '07, all I can tell you. Makes me wonder what else is prone to breaking that they haven't told me about. I'll probably find out after the 1 year bumper to bumper. :x

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks Double J. We have an '08 and the speakers sound fine so far. I've noticed a number of issues on the forum that seem to effect only the '07 and not the '08. Hope your luck holds out! The issues seem to be sporadic, and not with all vehicles.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Same thing happened to my door speakers in my Neon. I just replaced them myself though. I found that the fabric had started pulling away from the magnetic coil.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hidden Recall???

Double J said:
There is a problem with the non-premium speakers. Took it in for an oil change today, complained about a distorted speaker, they have a notice to replace all non-premium 6x9 speakers so they will be replacing them all.

Mmmmmmmmm?
Hidden recall???
Interesting!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Re: Hidden Recall???

i2canoe said:
Mmmmmmmmm?
Hidden recall???
Interesting!
Perhaps there's a TSB on it (Technical Service Bulletin). There is no such thing as a hidden recall, however TSBs are kind of "secret". Recalls only affect safety equipment and must be fixed for free by law. TSBs on the other hand, are put out by manufacturers and are not "mandatory". They address specific known issues. If you're under warranty a TSB may be used to repair a specific thing for free (because of the warranty). If you are out of warranty then the dealer could use the TSB to fix something specific (on your dime).

Just don't want anyone to get the idea there's secret/hidden recalls :)

You can search for TSBs for your vehicle here:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/tsbsearch.cfm

You can search for recalls for your vehicle by entering the VIN here:
http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep ... ame=recall

·
Registered
13 Posts
im getting a poping clicking type of noise on my premium sound system... if i have the radio or cd going but turn down the volume to off or very low I hear a ticking sound... as i raise the volume it drowns out the ticking... really annoying...frig.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Double J said:

I also had this distortion only in 1 speaker, dirivers side front. Had the dealer replace it, waited 1 month for the parts to arrive. 2 months later the other speaker started as well. We just called the dealer and waited 1 1/2 months and had to call the dealer back. It was sitting in stock and they replaced it that week.
Carl

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have the non premium speakers too, but they work just fine. is there any possibility i have the better stock speakers? it was a dealer demo car prior to me buying it. its a 2007 compass sport with basic stereo, but i just bought it around 2 months ago. is there any way for me to check if i have the better speakers or not? just to avoid the problem with them later. if anyone can help me itd be greatly appreciated!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts