My Jeep Compass Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2018 Jeep Compass. I do NOT have a sunroof, so that is not the cause. The water comes even when I don’t use my AC Or even when it doesn’t rain. I don’t see any wet or damp spots along the door to show evidence that it is coming from them that. The water sits primarily under the passenger foot area. The top mat does not get very wet, but the bottom may and then when I pop off the clip to see the frame under the carpet, I can see an inch of water.

what else am I missing here?
Honestly at this point I don’t know where the water is coming in from. I thought it was the sunroof but now I’m thinking it could be a bad seam. I sent a certified letter to corporate to try and have this fixed once and for all. This is ridiculous. Clearly it’s a manufacture issue since it looks to be common. I bought my 2019 compass, cash from the dealer so it makes it that much worse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2018 Jeep Compass (no sunroof) I found out on Friday that I had a huge puddle on my passenger side floor. I called it in to get checked and I have to wait for 3 weeks. I vacuumed it out Friday afternoon, did not drive it all weekend, and by Monday afternoon I had a huge puddle. I did drive it Monday to work and home for lunch but that's all. Has anyone solved their problem on why this happened??
Hello Everyone,

Late for my update but.. I brought it into the dealership and they kept it for 3-4 days. They did not find where the leak was coming in. They tried water testing it, even with soap and air, nothing visible to them. They said they sealed a bunch of different places to see if that would work. Couple days later there was water on the passenger floor again. I have another appointment coming up on Jan 19, they will be keeping it again for a couple more days to try and find out the problem. With them sealing a bunch of different spots I did find a difference with the amount of water that came in. There was less water, but still.. we don't want that.

I will give another update in the future.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello. Seems that this problem is very common for this model. Today I dropped my Compass at my local dealer, they said they had some other cars with the same problem. Meanwhile, another issue came up. I've experienced some condensation inside the rear brake lights (already told the dealer about this) . Anyone has the same issue?
I'm going to pick it up in about 3-4 days.
I'll let you know.

Ps. I've also had a little confirmation that the water is coming from under the car, as two days ago I pressure washed my car (all except under the chassis) and no water came inside. Later that day it started raining (obviously) and bam! water under the mats!!
I hope to find soon a solution!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hello. Seems that this problem is very common for this model. Today I dropped my Compass at my local dealer, they said they had some other cars with the same problem. Meanwhile, another issue came up. I've experienced some condensation inside the rear brake lights (already told the dealer about this) . Anyone has the same issue?
I'm going to pick it up in about 3-4 days.
I'll let you know.

Ps. I've also had a little confirmation that the water is coming from under the car, as two days ago I pressure washed my car (all except under the chassis) and no water came inside. Later that day it started raining (obviously) and bam! water under the mats!!
I hope to find soon a solution!!
Did you drive in the rain? I had I Dodge Dart, 1973, that the rear driver's side floor would get wet, but only if driven in the rain or on wet roads. Turned out to be a small gap between panels that they missed sealing in the wheel well area. Silicone caulk...a little dab will do ya!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I need to set appointment up with dealer. This will be the 3rd attempt to try and fix water leak.
Hey, DD71. If you require further assistance after visiting the dealer, please let us know. We are available in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you drive in the rain? I had I Dodge Dart, 1973, that the rear driver's side floor would get wet, but only if driven in the rain or on wet roads. Turned out to be a small gap between panels that they missed sealing in the wheel well area. Silicone caulk...a little dab will do ya!
Yes I did drive in the rain (light rain though, but the road was very wet), and, now that you make me think about it, I did notice some gaps near the wheel well, I noticed another thing.. I opened the hood and the foam near the wheel was wet..
This week I'm going to call the dealer.. I hope they found where the leak was coming from.
🤞

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes I did drive in the rain (light rain though, but the road was very wet), and, now that you make me think about it, I did notice some gaps near the wheel well, I noticed another thing.. I opened the hood and the foam near the wheel was wet..
This week I'm going to call the dealer.. I hope they found where the leak was coming from.
🤞
I have found a few gaps under the hood at the strut tower that should of had more sealant. I found some dirt that sprayed up from the road that tipped me off. Really showed up with a white Jeep. In the pic, I cleaned the area with denatured alcohol (cleans and removes the water based paint that wasn't clear coated) and filled the gap with white silicone caulk. Could be the same issue in the back of yours but hidden from view by the wheel well liner. Water finds it's way in anywhere.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have found a few gaps under the hood at the strut tower that should of had more sealant. I found some dirt that sprayed up from the road that tipped me off. Really showed up with a white Jeep. In the pic, I cleaned the area with denatured alcohol (cleans and removes the water based paint that wasn't clear coated) and filled the gap with white silicone caulk. Could be the same issue in the back of yours but hidden from view by the wheel well liner. Water finds it's way in anywhere.
Can you please take some zoomed out pictures? I can't really understand where this gap is. I would like to check on mine too. I have the granite crystal version, so maybe it's harder to find in the dark.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Can you please take some zoomed out pictures? I can't really understand where this gap is. I would like to check on mine too. I have the granite crystal version, so maybe it's harder to find in the dark.
Here's the pass side and it's the same area on the driver's side, behind the fuse box. Rather hard to get a pic. As for your back wheels, you may have to loosen the wheel well liners and try to see behind them. The tires could be spinning the water and some is getting behind the liners.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here's the pass side and it's the same area on the driver's side, behind the fuse box. Rather hard to get a pic. As for your back wheels, you may have to loosen the wheel well liners and try to see behind them. The tires could be spinning the water and some is getting behind the liners.
OK now I got it, thanks! I'll check as soon as I have my car back! I'll let you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Late for my update but.. I brought it into the dealership and they kept it for 3-4 days. They did not find where the leak was coming in. They tried water testing it, even with soap and air, nothing visible to them. They said they sealed a bunch of different places to see if that would work. Couple days later there was water on the passenger floor again. I have another appointment coming up on Jan 19, they will be keeping it again for a couple more days to try and find out the problem. With them sealing a bunch of different spots I did find a difference with the amount of water that came in. There was less water, but still.. we don't want that.

I will give another update in the future.
MY UPDATE
2nd time in and have my jeep back now. There were more pin holes where they sealed up last time.

They said the problem was under the hood behind the plastic part close to the front window on the body seam. That is where the water was coming in. So pretty much the body seam was the problem, it wasn't done properly. Now I need to hope that rain comes so I can see if the problem is finally over.

Good Luck Everyone

·
Registered
11 Posts
It happens when my Jeep is parked and either rains or getting it washed.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It happens when my Jeep is parked and either rains or getting it washed.
Water leaks can be a bear to find. I had a 1986 Plymouth that after a rain, the first time you stopped, water ran out inside at the top corner of the windshield. I did the hose test running water down across the top of the windshield...nothing. Finally found a small gap in the seam at the back of the roof where the rain gutter, roof panel and rear quarter met. Water would get in, lay in the frame and the momentum from stopping, the water would follow the frame forward and come out between the windshield and headliner. A dab of silicone sealant fixed the problem. Expand your search and good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello everybody.
I've just picked up my car from the dealer.
They said a sealing was missing in the wheel well, arch and fender zone. They disassembled all the components and applied a big layer of black silicone caulk.
Here is a detail of the silicon caulk under the hood that was not present before.

This is a detail from another customer that had the same exact problem as me. You can see the white silicone caulk here.

Also my car had the tube of the a/c drainage unplugged or misplaced. They replaced it with a new one.

Hopefully now the car is fine. I'll keep you informed!

View attachment 14777
I checked my car, but i cannot find this point. I'll double check today with proper lighting and more patience. Maybe I have some plastic cover there.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hello everybody.
I've just picked up my car from the dealer.
They said a sealing was missing in the wheel well, arch and fender zone. They disassembled all the components and applied a big layer of black silicone caulk.
Here is a detail of the silicon caulk under the hood that was not present before.
View attachment 14797

This is a detail from another customer that had the same exact problem as me. You can see the white silicone caulk here.
View attachment 14798

Also my car had the tube of the a/c drainage unplugged or misplaced. They replaced it with a new one.

Hopefully now the car is fine. I'll keep you informed!

I checked my car, but i cannot find this point. I'll double check today with proper lighting and more patience. Maybe I have some plastic cover there.
Here's a wider view of the area I was talking about, same on both sides. (I am in the US and have the 2.4 Tigershark gas engine. Circled the area.

As for your area, I circled a spot welded seam that does have a seal strip between the parts. I also noticed (2) drain holes. (Pointed to one of them, the other is on the other side of the hood hinge) I could stick my finger in them both and they feel like they drain on the engine side of the firewall.

Hopefully this takes care of your problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2019 Compass bought (New) in Hamburg, Germany, I have exactly the same issue with my Jeep, and honestly I am extremely disappointed in the brand. I will have to take the car back to the Dealer tomorrow to see what they can do...

Any pointers on what else I have to look out for?

Rgs,
Pieter

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2019 Compass bought (New) in Hamburg, Germany, I have exactly the same issue with my Jeep, and honestly I am extremely disappointed in the brand. I will have to take the car back to the Dealer tomorrow to see what they can do...

Any pointers on what else I have to look out for?

Rgs,
Pieter
Hello Pieter,
sad to hear about your problem! I suggest you show some pictures from this thread to the dealer.
Also check for water condensation inside tail lights. I've experienced some condensation especially with very cold weather (about -2°C) , and after pressure washing the car. My dealer said that it was normal. Maybe it was an isolated case.

Have also door gaskets checked, and drainage holes as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Hope you solve your issue!!
Keep us posted!

Kind regards

·
Registered
22 Posts
My problem was on the other side. But basically I think it's the same. If you car is under warranty, they have to replace also the floormats.
I had the exact "pool" under the passenger back seat :-(

21 - 40 of 65 Posts