My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 2017 Jeep Compass Trailhawk.

Recently, I've discovered my AC unit will have very weak air flow on the highest setting and doesn't feel cold at all.

For example, I'll dial the unit to 7 (highest setting) but it feels more like a 1 (lowest setting).

This typically happens when I'm driving at freeway speeds for an hour or more in 90F+ weather.

I noticed this started happening about a month ago. Ever since I got the car the AC would never be consistently cold but I figured that's just how these Compasses are. The air flow was very consistent though. I wish I'd thought of posting on here to ask...

For example, sometimes it would feel icy cold then sometimes it would feel moderately cold.

I changed the air filter about two weeks ago and everything seemed to work fine for a bit until I got to very warm weather.

If it's relevant, I used a K&N Filter:

Sometimes turning off the air entirely and waiting a couple minutes will restore the air flow.

When I've left the car off for 5-10 minutes everything will go back to normal again.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but another oddity I've noticed is that sometimes the car won't start right away. I'll press in the brake and press the igniter but only the battery comes on. When it does this I usually turn the car off then press on the brake harder then it will start. The original car battery died when not operating it during the shelter in place so I replaced it about a year ago.

Has anyone had an issue like this on their Compass?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Try replacing the cabin air filter.

Reactions: Sandi

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for the suggestion! It took me a minute to realize the cabin air filter is a different filter.

To my knowledge, this has never been changed. I have almost 60,000 miles and owned the car for about 4 years.

Apparently, the recommended change interval is every 20,000 miles or every two years.

I've ordered a Mopar branded cabin air filter which will arrive in a couple weeks:

I'll be following these instructions:

It seems quite a bit harder to change the cabin filter compared to older generations.

I need to remove a side panel, 7x T25 screws, the glove box itself and a metal bracket...

In the old generation it look like the glove box was held in using a clip.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion! It took me a minute to realize the cabin air filter is a different filter.

To knowledge, this has never been changed. I have almost 60,000 miles and owned the car for about 4 years.

Apparently, the recommended change interval is every 20,000 miles or every two years.

I've ordered a Mopar branded cabin air filter which will arrive in a couple weeks:

I'll be following these instructions:

It seems quite a bit harder to change the cabin filter compared to older generations.

I need to remove a side panel, 7x T25 screws, the glove box itself and a metal bracket...

In the old generation it look like the glove box was held in using a clip.
I think it's a case of regulations requiring that interior parts, trim, panels, etc. must be held in place much more secure than years prior so even though the pieces are plastic, they can do some real harm flying around in an accident. Before the 2018 Compass, my other vehicles were a 2002 PT Cruiser and still have the 2003 PT Cruiser and all of those interior parts were much easier to remove and the retaining clips reusable. Not so much on the newer vehicles. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Changing the cabin air filter is not too bad, it is odd to take so many screws and such to get to it but the job goes pretty quick once you get into it. Hopefully you don't find it clogged with rodent stuff or anything like that, I didn't change mine until this spring and mine is a 2017.5 one of the very first of the 2nd gens to roll out for sale, about 50k miles and it was a little grimy but overall not too bad. Still glad I changed it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a 2017 Jeep Compass Trailhawk.

Recently, I've discovered my AC unit will have very weak air flow on the highest setting and doesn't feel cold at all.

For example, I'll dial the unit to 7 (highest setting) but it feels more like a 1 (lowest setting).

This typically happens when I'm driving at freeway speeds for an hour or more in 90F+ weather.

I noticed this started happening about a month ago. Ever since I got the car the AC would never be consistently cold but I figured that's just how these Compasses are. The air flow was very consistent though. I wish I'd thought of posting on here to ask...

For example, sometimes it would feel icy cold then sometimes it would feel moderately cold.

I changed the air filter about two weeks ago and everything seemed to work fine for a bit until I got to very warm weather.

If it's relevant, I used a K&N Filter:

Sometimes turning off the air entirely and waiting a couple minutes will restore the air flow.

When I've left the car off for 5-10 minutes everything will go back to normal again.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but another oddity I've noticed is that sometimes the car won't start right away. I'll press in the brake and press the igniter but only the battery comes on. When it does this I usually turn the car off then press on the brake harder then it will start. The original car battery died when not operating it during the shelter in place so I replaced it about a year ago.

Has anyone had an issue like this on their Compass?
Glad you realized the K&N Engine Air Filter is different from the cabin air filter, which could affect your AC/HV system if not clear of debris and foreign matter! This could also be an electrical issue with the AC/HV controls - might need to have controls checked if replacing the cabin air filter doesn't take care of the problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, I replaced the cabin filter successfully but after about 90 minutes the air pressure seems to drop significantly again.

It also seems to worsen when I use the air recirculation button. I'll need to do more testing but is there anything else I can try?

My car just hit the 60K mark so I'm thinking I need to get the first milestone service. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
33 Posts
There's a blower motor and heat/cold blend door control inside the dash board of most vehicles that control the amount of airflow and Heat/AC air temperature of the air sent through the air ducts of the vehicles. These controls wear out after a while. The controls are probably mechanical in operation but actuated electrically by pressing the touch screen or manually adjusting dials on the dash. Replacement of the blower motor or blend door control usually involves removing some part of the dash to access these controls. This job is usually best left to a professional technician who can also test the electrical operation of your HVAC system to diagnose what parts in the system need service before changing parts randomly. Bring the vehicle to a qualified Vehicle HVAC shop to have the job done properly and the work guaranteed. You'll also save a lot of skin from being scraped off your knuckles!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, just thought I'd give an update to my situation. I called a couple shops in my area and they all said this is something only the dealer can troubleshoot since my car uses the new type of freon and it requires a machine that they don't have access to.

I took into the dealer for two things:
1. Software update for HVAC (recall)
2. AC diagnostic

The dealer said it would be $80 for the diagnostic but later called me and said they couldn't find any leaks. They wanted to take out the parts and run dye through it but it would cost a total of $750 not including adding the freon. I agreed and about a day later they told me there were no leaks. I explained that it's been an intermittent issue since I bought the car brand new. They said I had three years to tell them about it so whatever.

The issue has been resolved and there's no longer a hissing sound when I turn on the AC.

If I could redo things here's what I would've done:
1. Take it in to resolve the call (software update for HVAC) - FREE
2. If that doesn't fix it pay to add more freon - $40
3. If that doesn't fix it pay for the diagnostic to see if there's a leak - $750

Really appreciate everyone's input on this!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Had this issue on a different vehicle but the parts for a a/c system is the same from car to car. There is a thermostat near the a/c condenser that is out of position and not giving the proper reading. The core will then freeze causing air to not flow thru to the interior of the cabin. If you turn off the a/c the frozen core will defrost and air can flow thru and cool the cabin again.
The car was a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX and there was a TSB to address the issue. Look for that TSB online and it will tell you what exactly needed to be done to fix the issue. Good luck hope this helps

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had this issue on a different vehicle but the parts for a a/c system is the same from car to car. There is a thermostat near the a/c condenser that is out of position and not giving the proper reading. The core will then freeze causing air to not flow thru to the interior of the cabin. If you turn off the a/c the frozen core will defrost and air can flow thru and cool the cabin again.
The car was a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX and there was a TSB to address the issue. Look for that TSB online and it will tell you what exactly needed to be done to fix the issue. Good luck hope this helps
Thanks man! That makes sense but my issue has already been resolved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts