My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a total history of Toyota ownership lasting 8 years I will be comparing the Rav4 to the all-new Compass. This is in no way a new segment and has a history stretching at least 10-15 years with many rivals to choose from. So with that being said, what else are you looking at?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Heard that Ford is finally coming out with the Bronco, but who knows how long it's going to be until we see it. Other than that, maybe the Toyota Highlander LE?

·
Registered
82 Posts
A lot of CUVs are coming out this year, but not many would stand up against the Compass IMHO.

The 2017 Mazda CX-5, Kia Sportage, and Ford Escape are a few. But they seem to be more on-road vehicles and not as flexible as the Compass. Also they aren't cheap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Isn't the Compass technically one slot below the CX-5, Sportage, and Escape? I'd think it competes more with the CX-3, EcoSport, and HR-V.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Isn't the Compass technically one slot below the CX-5, Sportage, and Escape? I'd think it competes more with the CX-3, EcoSport, and HR-V.
The way I see it (which I think some here will agree) is its not an exact science, there will be many reasons for comparing it to what you mentioned and models right under them. These days there's a lot of inbetween segments which impacts this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was looking at 2017 models only for comparison, but it'll still stand above the CX-3, EcoSport, and HR-V in terms of versatility IMO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The SUV segment seems to be exploding the last few years. Most of the models that I'm looking at are listed on here already. I'm just happy to see that there are a lot of other options coming from the Japanese brands like Toyota and Honda because from what I can see, the fuel economy is a marked improvement...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was looking at the EcoSport, but it seems more like a fuel saving vehicles then something meant for performance. I'm expecting it to be under powered compared to the Compass. And it seems like a gimmicky vehicle if their ads are anything to go by.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was looking at the EcoSport, but it seems more like a fuel saving vehicles then something meant for performance. I'm expecting it to be under powered compared to the Compass. And it seems like a gimmicky vehicle if their ads are anything to go by.
Seems like a lot of vehicles in this segment are underpowered. The HR-V is a dog, so is the Crosstrek and the Trax. I was watching the EcoSport reveal and was very disappointed by the power train but kind of expected it given the others. Not to mention the side opening rear gate.

Seems like only the Juke, Renegade, and Compass have decent power in the segment.

Sent from my mobile device.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Manufacturers are going the route of fuel savings at the cost of power delivery and that's an unfortunate change in the market, but FCA can't do the same with Jeep as it's their money cow and they can't risk pushing us away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, you can only lose a certain amount of power delivery before your vehicle is no longer off-road capable, so that makes some sense. But they're not even offering the option of a slower and more fuel-efficient powertrain. And it's not like they don't have them.

I have a feeling other maufacturers are going to have to step up their power output a bit though. Some of these things are so slow they can't even get out of their own way. Or my way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brian_Pizzutti, I'm thinking of buying a 2013 Compass - fair price offered me - but I'm told the smaller engine which this one has, may not be able to pull a camper trailer. Any truth to this?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brian_Pizzutti, I'm thinking of buying a 2013 Compass - fair price offered me - but I'm told the smaller engine which this one has, may not be able to pull a camper trailer. Any truth to this?
That's a question better left to sections on that generation, this is on the upcoming next generation model, best to keep it like that just to keep it on topic.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've read that the NA HR-V isn't recommended to tow. Been trying to find specs on a towing capacity but I can't come up with anything on it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts