My Jeep Compass Forum banner

What are you comparing the 2017+ Compass to?

17K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  jjcom 
#1 ·
With a total history of Toyota ownership lasting 8 years I will be comparing the Rav4 to the all-new Compass. This is in no way a new segment and has a history stretching at least 10-15 years with many rivals to choose from. So with that being said, what else are you looking at?

#5 ·
The way I see it (which I think some here will agree) is its not an exact science, there will be many reasons for comparing it to what you mentioned and models right under them. These days there's a lot of inbetween segments which impacts this.

#10 ·
Seems like a lot of vehicles in this segment are underpowered. The HR-V is a dog, so is the Crosstrek and the Trax. I was watching the EcoSport reveal and was very disappointed by the power train but kind of expected it given the others. Not to mention the side opening rear gate.

Seems like only the Juke, Renegade, and Compass have decent power in the segment.

Sent from my mobile device.

#12 ·
Well, you can only lose a certain amount of power delivery before your vehicle is no longer off-road capable, so that makes some sense. But they're not even offering the option of a slower and more fuel-efficient powertrain. And it's not like they don't have them.

I have a feeling other maufacturers are going to have to step up their power output a bit though. Some of these things are so slow they can't even get out of their own way. Or my way.

#22 ·
I agree.

Lexus/Toyota has been trying to stand out with design that is different from the rest and in the process have come up with designs that have potential but have ugly cues that throw the whole product off.

It's going to be a struggle especially with their products not falling that far away from competition like Mercedes, BMW and Audi.

#25 ·
They will eventually. With the launch of NissanConnect, Andriod Auto will become one of the standard features.

Fortunately being a system so easy to implement we could see it introduced as soon as the next model year. A small downside currently.

#27 ·
Call me biased, but IMO nothing compares to the Compass!!!! :) Seriously, though, no one's mentioned the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. I was considering that due to availability of a manual transmission when I was "shopping". But I came to my senses and opted for the Compass.

#29 ·
The 2018 compass sport doesn't have power or fuel economy...when I picked mine up, my woman though she was going to be funny and rev the engine at me...she had our lancer es with a 2.0 eco model, get about 440 miles to a tank of gas...anyway she took off and there was no way this thing was going to catch her...all that I saw was tail lights and I didn't see those for long...and this thing is so hard on gas its not funny...average is about 12.8 mpg

#30 ·
I"d suggest you get that looked at then as 12mpg is not proper at all and magazine tests prove it isn't that low, additionally other members on this site haven't got that bad or mileage.

#32 ·
Here in Australia, I'm comparing a Limited to the VW Tiguan Highline and the 2018 Honda CR-V (smaller engine, CVVT but equal on features)....the only problem is the latter two are available, the Compass isn't out here until about December :(

#33 ·
I just joined this site, so I'm a little late to the game. I just read through this thread and found it quite interesting. Just a quick background on me:

I'm in sales/fleet department now at a Volvo and Mazda dealership. I've been in sales for 14 years total. I've sold Honda's (nest to Buick, Cadillac and GMC's) for 11 years. I've owned several Jeeps now, but not all in a row. With that said....

About the size of the new Compass, it's extremely close to the size of the Mazda CX5. I personally own a 2016 Jeep Patriot, and even that is similar in size to the CX5, CRv, and Toyota Rav4. The Mazda CX3 is a much smaller vehicle and is based on the Mazda2 sold in Japan and sold in the USA under Toyota as the I-A (formerly Scion). The HRv is a little smaller too, but I don't know as much about that because I didn't sell it.

In terms of MPG's, I don't care how you slice it or which brand. It all comes down to how you drive, your tire pressure, air filter, driving conditions, etc. It really makes me laugh when I hear people talk about Honda and Toyota being so good on fuel. I have a friend who drives a Honda Pilot and a GMC Sierra Duramax and his truck gets better MPG's. Personally, I keep my vehicle well kept and the tires are checked monthly and kept at the suggested pressure. My Patriot is the 2.4L, front drive with the 6 speed auto. If I'm not using the A/C and I drive nice, I will get just a tick over 31mpg. Under normal every day driving in mostly city with a couple highway miles in the mix, I will average 22 mpg. Again, I currently sell Mazda's and I will guarantee you the CX5 drivers are not getting anything above that. Most are averaging around 25 total.

For anyone thinking about buying the Mazda CX5, I can personally attest to how they drive and feel. I deliver cars for the fleet/internet department and I've put well over a thousand miles on the new 2017's. Although they are much more quiet than the old CX5, it still falls short in many areas. Getting comfortable in one is nearly impossible due to the ergonomics are so bad. In training, I've spent time in the Honda/Toyota's as well, and the Mazda is at least better than those two mainly because Mazda refuses to use the CVT trans! Thank goodness for that!

At the end of the day, I can't tell you how many times I get out of the Mazda and walk to my Patriot to go home. I get in and can't believe how much more I like it than driving the CX5. But hey, that's just me.

#35 ·
That is strange, before picking up my compass- i purchased a 2016 cx-5 and lets not beat around the bush here, there's just no comparison as the mazda drives like a V6 and puts power to the wheels with its skyactiv system. I ended up returning it due to a water leak in the read lift gate, but loved to drive it. The compass drives like someone put my lawnmower motor in it- so as long as i drive in normal traffic conditions then i dont miss too much. passing other cars is a pipe dream though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.