My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1) What wash.... if you wash your car yourself? :)

2) What polish, what wax? :p

3) What interior dressing? :rolleyes:

4) What tire dressing? :D

5) Are there products that DON't work that you suggest people avoid? :mad:

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Good question CL.........I like this one a lot.....

Sometime words can be futile................

Here are my tools in the same order CL mentionned it:

and the final result....(she shines..........)

And Voilâ................

PS: I think I have too much time on my hands...............this stroke is getting to me !!!!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I see I left out glass cleaner.

The glass cleaner products to avoid always contain ammonia. Ammonia will break down rubber surfaces such as door seals and wiper blades. If you have window tint it will also cause problems with that as well.

What I do use is a spray bottle filled with a 50/50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol.

Item 6 is important as well don't forget the lime.

Ffl the photos are great but the glare of your Jeep makes me want to borrow your yellow safety glasses.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Use Collinite # 915 wax and you won't want anything else.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am not a huge fan of carnauba waxes. Yes I know they protect like crazy and many will give a show quality shine. But here in the hot and humid south they are just too much work.... at least for me.

I have been using non carnauba based waxes for years. My latest favorite is the Ice product line from Turtle wax. http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,1

I first tried the ICE Total Interior Care which is a paste. I like the fact that it is not a high gloss product. Makes it easier to drive into a sunset or sunrise. It also does not attract dust like some interior products. I really hate shinny AND dusty.

Always looking for something new I am now using Ice Total Interior Care Spray. Goes on easy and has kind of a new car smell.

I liked those products so much I decided to try the Ice Liquid Polish. I put it on everything! No it does not have a show car shine but everything looks very good. No swirls no white haze on the black surfaces. I put it on the flat black pillar posts, the black unpainted rear view mirrors, the black rear bumper skid tread. the windshield wiper arms. NOT THE BLADES. The taillights everything but the headlights!

I use it under the hood on everything but the blanket. One coat is good, two coats are great, three coats are awesome. Even the sections under the hood that were not clear coated are starting to look like they are.

It makes black blacker and is probably going to help a lot in my battle against the black parts turning gray because it blocks UV to prevent oxidation.

It does not take much of the product and seems to work better with thin multiple coats. So far I have done two Jeeps with multi coats and a ford with two coats..... still have half a bottle left.

I am even doing the soft top on my Wrangler.

To me carnauba wax based products need to be clayed because dust, grit and bug parts like to stick INTO the wax. Ice has no such problem. Rub your hand over a carnauba waxed hood a week after waxing and feel all the stuff stuck to the hood. Been two weeks since I last Iced the hood. Almost nothing stuck to it.

This is the way I roll..... I know you have your products and reasons.

Cons: It does not bead water like wax based products. Yet I have not detected any water spots. Not a show quality shine.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
She does look nice..................great job CL............

·
Registered
381 Posts
I used to spray road tar for a living. Diesel works good to take it off, but I have a feeling that it might be a little hard on the paint. I don't remember what we used to use to take it off when I worked for **cough** Ford. I've been looking for something to clean my vehicle up with and I'll have to give this stuff a try

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone tried the... NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 from Meguiar's?

Almost bought some the other day. All the reviews make it look like it is the best product on the market.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Tonight I went to Canadian Tire on the way home and bought a 3pack of the ICE Interior care paste, Interior care spray and liquid polish and cleaned the inside of my jeep out (it was raining so I couldn't do the exterior) and it looks great. It's not shiny and greasy like lots of other cleaners. I used both the interior paste and the interior spray and they both work great. I'm waiting for my girlfriend to get home so I can clean up her car too! I can't wait to try the polish when it's nice out.

·
Registered
381 Posts
For sure might be able to do it thursday. I did find that my door sill is cracked during cleaning :(. Maybe warranty will cover it, maybe stainless steel door sill guards will be purchased and installed...

·
Registered
381 Posts
2 hours to polish the body, clean the windows. Now all I have to do is vacuum the inside. There is a sunburst orange ram parked beside me tonight and my jeep looks like the paint has a lot more depth than his. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow, it's too dark to get some now.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had just finished waxing my car a couple of days ago using Ice Liquid Polish when I received an emergency call. Most of the gear I needed was already in my Compass so I headed out... the Compass still covered in Ice.

I thought this stuff is never gonna come off. It's going to bake onto the hood. I had even done my wheels. About 6 hours and over two hundred miles later I got home and broke out the micro fiber polishing cloth. The Ice came right off. It was as if I had put the stuff on 15 minutes ago.

I was wiping it down in the dark just trying to go over everything. Next morning.... well afternoon when I went out... the Compass was gleaming like it was wet. I had missed a couple of spots but that cleaned up with no problem.

I am more than happy with Ice Liquid Polish. And no white dust in the black parts.

·
Registered
381 Posts
CL asked and CL gets. Here's some pics of the jeep after polishing. I even shined up the exhaust tips. I didn't have anything to shine up the tires with, but I can live without that. Incidently it started raining about 30 seconds after I took pictures. Guess it's going to get muddy going down the back roads today. It's a jeep, it's almost un-natural for it to be this shiny.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'm blind.... think of the rain as an opportunity for another layer. I can now wax and wipe in about 20 minutes.

I like your grill, is that a Cloud Rider?

Wish I could get a good shine on my Compass.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Sweet job there Smokey..........she looks great..........
question ......how did you get that dual exhaust ?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts