My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, my husband called around for quotes to get a trailer hitch put on. Everyone said we needed a class 3, while U-Haul said class 2. Any ideas, anyone?

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you're strictly going on weight class then a class 1 hitch would do fine as it's rated to pull 2000lbs. A class 2 is rated for 3500lbs which is over the 2000lb compass pull limit. What i took into consideration was accessories and adapters. I much rather adapt from the 2" receiver of a class 3 to the 1 1/4" size of the class 2.

Over all it depends on what you expect to be doing with the hitch, towing or using it for accessories such as a bike carrier.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I have a Class III on my Compass. They are a more substantial hitch system with a 2" opening for the receiver. The cost for it is not much more and makes for a sturdier install and better solid back end if you are rear ended. I always leave the receiver in my vehicles. If some slides into the back they have deal with he heavy steel ball and 2" receiver bolted to the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I have a class IV on my truck with a 2" ball and if I were to put one on the Compass, class II, maybe III would be plenty, considering the weight it's capable of handling. I do the same thing, tripplec, the ball stays on at all times, serves someone right if they end up with a 2" hole in their grille, but they do make some cool covers for the ball, I have a deer head on mine. :)

- Cherokee

Attachments

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Class II look puny though with a 1 1/4" box, while the 2" Class III looks much better.

It's not just about towing capacity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.