·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What Transaxle Do You Have?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Manual, I told myself I would never buy another Chrysler product after my 96 Dodge Intrepid went through 3 transmissions in 70,000 miles. When the 4th went out around 76,000 and Chrysler said I was on my own I promised them I would never buy another. 15 years later I broke down and bought a stick shift.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manual, I told myself I would never buy another Chrysler product after my 96 Dodge Intrepid went through 3 transmissions in 70,000 miles. When the 4th went out around 76,000 and Chrysler said I was on my own I promised them I would never buy another. 15 years later I broke down and bought a stick shift.
What trim and options did you get? At 2,800 miles I'm averaging 29.8 MPGs hand calculated. I did pull my two trailers just a few miles each to see how it did. Tomorrow I'll be doing more as I have to buy a chest freezer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What trim and options did you get? At 2,800 miles I'm averaging 29.8 MPGs hand calculated. I did pull my two trailers just a few miles each to see how it did. Tomorrow I'll be doing more as I have to buy a chest freezer.
2018 Base Sport with cold weather group. Dealer couldn't locate anything else and my prior car got totaled when someone was nice enough to rear end me on I95 outside of DC.

I haven't towed yet, I need to put a hitch on it. And leather, I need some leather.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's early, but 4 autos to 4 manuals!

·
Registered
71 Posts
4x4 limited..... so it's the 9 speed auto for me.
All city driving so far, about 1500miles, 24mpg average.

I know the hardware is the same as my Cherokee TH, but the programming is much improved.
The Cherokee had clunkiness and and unusual behavior, and even after several patches and updates, still is not the smoothest things on the planet.

The Compass so far seems flawless. (knock-on-wood).

·
Registered
87 Posts
4x4 limited..... so it's the 9 speed auto for me.
All city driving so far, about 1500miles, 24mpg average.

I know the hardware is the same as my Cherokee TH, but the programming is much improved.
The Cherokee had clunkiness and and unusual behavior, and even after several patches and updates, still is not the smoothest things on the planet.

The Compass so far seems flawless. (knock-on-wood).
Knocking on wood with you! I'm closing in on 4000 trouble-free miles! One thing I'm always seeing with the 9 spd auto is a reluctance to downshift.... have you had any issues with that? (Just curious)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Knocking on wood with you! I'm closing in on 4000 trouble-free miles! One thing I'm always seeing with the 9 spd auto is a reluctance to downshift.... have you had any issues with that? (Just curious)
Some reluctance, but nothing unusual.
I drive a '16 GMC Canyon for work that does the same thing. It's constantly trying to stay in the higher gear to save fuel.

·
Registered
828 Posts
ghiser30 said:
One thing I'm always seeing with the 9 spd auto is a reluctance to downshift.... have you had any issues with that?
My experience has been sometimes the opposite, if I push my foot down hardly at all it usually drops a gear, or if you are using cruise control and you bump it up one MPH then it downshifts just to gain that one stupid MPH.

However, if you are talking about flooring it then yes, if I am at highway speed and I want to make a pass and I mash my foot down then it seems to ponder the universe for a full second or two and THEN it drops 3 or 4 gears and the engine winds up.

My guess is they have dulled the responsiveness a bit for best mundane daily driving experience, a lot of idiots (I mean, people..) can't keep their foot steady so they dull response to the pedal a bit to help smooth out bad drivers.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My experience has been sometimes the opposite, if I push my foot down hardly at all it usually drops a gear, or if you are using cruise control and you bump it up one MPH then it downshifts just to gain that one stupid MPH.

However, if you are talking about flooring it then yes, if I am at highway speed and I want to make a pass and I mash my foot down then it seems to ponder the universe for a full second or two and THEN it drops 3 or 4 gears and the engine winds up.

My guess is they have dulled the responsiveness a bit for best mundane daily driving experience, a lot of idiots (I mean, people..) can't keep their foot steady so they dull response to the pedal a bit to help smooth out bad drivers.
If you do some research on the ZF Transaxle, you'll see it has clutch packs and dog clutches. Due to how the input and output speeds have to match to engage the dog clutches, it is a bit slower than say a DSG transaxle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts