My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
Any advice on when is time to change the coils for the spark plugs. I used to change the power wires every 60,000km (this is a cheap change) just to make sure every thing is with the ignition system.

But, the Compass use coils. I dont have a clue for when to change these coils (for precaution as i mention before). Is 60k ok? or i need to wait until one fails?

Regards,
Willy

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
When they fail. There are no High ignition wire issues since they're directly conntected to the plugs. There is one maintenance issue I've seen. Debris in the tray around the coil tubes seems to collect. Hmmm

I changed oil recently and a little flowed over and around the tube when my funnel flopped over (there is an obstruction in the filler hole, why I don't know). I pulled the plastic cover off and saw this collection. I would say a crevice tool on a vacuum and/or compressed air would take care of it. You would not want it getting down into the plug cavity or into the engine if the coil and plugs were removed.

I sprayed some lithium grease on the cover rubber studs and on the under plastic points to make the cover removal and replacement much easier. Some pull off fine and other hang on for dear life.

One just need to be careful with the compressed air and not blow it down the side into the hole. I might blast the hole out just before removing plugs just to be shut some stuff is not already down there either.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I agree, no need to replace the coils unless they fail. That's one of the nice things about these ignition systems, the plugs are really the only maintenance item you really need be worried about.

- Cherokee

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for your help!!!!

:wjeep:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts