My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2008 Jeep Compass. I had to replace a rear bearing last summer and of course they were replaced in pairs. Again I'm getting the same noise as before that lead to their replacement. :cool: Does this have the makings of a Common Defect ???? I've just cleared 53,000 km's . Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've got a 2008 Jeep Compass. I had to replace a rear bearing last summer and of course they were replaced in pairs. Again I'm getting the same noise as before that lead to their replacement. :cool: Does this have the makings of a Common Defect ???? I've just cleared 53,000 km's . Thanks
what kind of noise are you experiencing. as well as where are you located in eastern ontario....

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I take it you took it to the dealership and this was performed under warranty? Were they getting any play in the wheels before taking them off (with the car on the lift)? Sometimes tire noise can be confused with bearing problems, but I would have them check for any open Recalls or TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) on the issue. I'm not finding anything on it, but they have access to Chrysler service info, but were they able to show you the bearings were actually bad?

- Cherokee

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what kind of noise are you experiencing. as well as where are you located in eastern ontario....
I take it you took it to the dealership and this was performed under warranty? Were they getting any play in the wheels before taking them off (with the car on the lift)? Sometimes tire noise can be confused with bearing problems, but I would have them check for any open Recalls or TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) on the issue. I'm not finding anything on it, but they have access to Chrysler service info, but were they able to show you the bearings were actually bad?

- Cherokee
Gentlemen: 1st Zackman I live 35 minutes East of Ottawa. I just came away from the Dealership . Definitely something wrong considering that's 2 Rear Wheel Bearings worn out on the Left Side in 53,000 km's. The right side had been replaced as well back the 1st time I had issues with the Bearings. They made note at the Dealership the problem lyes with the Manufacture not on the Driver.
That said , Would Anyone hazard a guess as to what would cause the Bearings to Breakdown , especially with only say 25,000 km's on them each time. Thanks :):cool:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Made in CHINA, anyone else?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Well that encouraging that its not a trend.

PS: It would be nice if you could add a signature so we can see what Year and configuration yours its.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Can't be right. It's a JEEP and what has the Italian Job car have in common with JEEP.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
lol..........cute one Trip.....I thought they were Mini's in the movie !!!!!
AHHH beautiful Cameron Diaz in tights......

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
lol..........cute one Trip.....I thought they were Mini's in the movie !!!!!
AHHH beautiful Cameron Diaz in tights......
Well yeah, you're right, just checking if you-all paying attention....LOL

But Mini or Fiat, what possible connect could either of these have to the all America Red Blooded JEEP. Built in N.A. and widely used. Probably the best know brand in N.A.

I am Canadian so don't bash me on that note above. But JEEP is a N.A, hence American ok... cheers.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The only thing that Jeep and Fiat share is R&D. For instance the 2011 Jeep Phoenix, AKA the Fiat Panda, are based on the same platform.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Fine that may or may not be the case due to Mercedes alliance. But the application is so far remove. It's like a land rover and moon rover.
I hope my Jeeps stand the test of endurance.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
:cool::eek: Did I not read on this Forum that The Jeep Compass will cease production in 2011 since the Contract with FIAT will have run out by then ???
I'm still looking for a more up to date article on this, something that spells out a bit more of the details of the 5 year plan, but here ya' go:
http://autos.aol.com/article/chrysler-fiat-plans?icid=webmail|wbml-aol|dl6|link1|http://autos.aol.com/article/chrysler-fiat-plans

Fine that may or may not be the case due to Mercedes alliance. But the application is so far remove. It's like a land rover and moon rover.
I hope my Jeeps stand the test of endurance.

Land Rover vs. Moon Rover, now that's an interesting analogy, but I tend to agree, there is nothing analogous between Fiat (Fix It All The Time) and our beloved Jeep.....:)

- Cherokee

·
Registered
27 Posts
does the noies you heard happen while in reverse. That happened to my wifes 07 compass and they found that something with the back suspension the "pair of couse" was due to the parts are specificaly made one for right one for left and the assembly plant put her's the wrong sides

·
Registered
2 Posts
2008 Compass rear wheel bearings

I just took my Compass in for grinding noise and the dealer says the rear wheel bears are shot. There's only 53k miles on the car. Sounds like they have an issue. Plus I was told this is not a warrenty issue!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I just took my Compass in for grinding noise and the dealer says the rear wheel bears are shot. There's only 53k miles on the car. Sounds like they have an issue. Plus I was told this is not a warranty issue!
Please include configuration, year, 4x4, etc see others signatures or paste at the bottom of your post so we can see what you have.

I am becoming more and more concerned about the reliability and longevity of the Compass having recently purchase the 2009 listed below for the long term. I don't what to be rebuilding the suspension and other components which should last more than 100k. As for your situation and depending on the year etc it should be covered. I would call Chrysler customer relations and complain about the premature failures on that and/or other components. the can authorize the dealer to perform repairs under warranty.

Let us know how that goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Compass is a 2008 sport 4X4 with the cvt transmission. I did call Chrysler and started a claim process. They told me I should expect a call this Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The Compass is a 2008 sport 4X4 with the cvt transmission. I did call Chrysler and started a claim process. They told me I should expect a call this Monday or Tuesday.
Excellent!!!
If everyone who had/has tie rod, arm and other premature failures calls and complains. they will clearly seen a big trend of discontented owners and may eventually rectify the parts quality or design failings. They should not be failing that early or that low millage. Jeep is suppose to be synonymous with durability. Clearly the 2007 and newer models are having the same problems it appear so far on this forum.

The more flack they get the more attention they'll give it and benefit the whole community of owners.

Well Done!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts