My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Has anyone replaced their stock wheels with aftermarkets with no air sensors? How does this affect the system, if at all? I understand that buying the 4 sensor kits (tirerack.com) will cost upwards of $240 plus.

thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I mean is that I want to buy a set of black steelies with winter tires and keep my originals for summer, don't want to swap the sensors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK Now you've answered part of my question !! 1st off it seems rather pricy to install the wheel air sensors on said Winter Rims. Is there 17" Winter Rims available ?? Is there not a Fuse somewhere inline with the 4 sensors ?? Could you not just remove it for the Winter Months ?? :roll:

·
Registered
46 Posts
17" steel wheel can be found easily at Canadian Tires, UAP/NAPA or any other car part shop for and they're not a lot more expensive than 16", $69 each. http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524443292698&FOLDER<>folder_id=1408474396672508&bmUID=1215706914607&deptid=1408474396672395&ctgrid=1408474396672407&subctgrid=1408474396672508
If you look at the price of winter tires in size 205/70/R16 (size of Patriot base model), it's even more expensive than 205/60/R17 because this is not a standard popular size. As for the sensors, I know a technician at the dealer and he told me you'll have an indicator light-up in the dash if you use steelies without the sensors, no big deal, they car will still run fine. If I can't get sensors for cheap on the winter wheels, I'm not gonna run it without.

·
Registered
8 Posts
8) Thanks for the Comeback Flipper !! I figured no harm would be done with Sensorless Rims. I'll do a little digging around, trying to skirt around one issue just leads to another with the Dash Indicator Sensor on Constant. Thanks Again

·
Registered
360 Posts
One thing that you should be aware of if you're buying a second set of sensors - apparently (as per my dealer) they have to be programmed to your Compass EVERY time that you change the tires. So when you put on the winter tires they have to Scan/Program all 4 sensors and then when you put the summer tires back on they have to reprogram them again as the Compass can only remember 4 sensors (1 per wheel) at a time.

Something to think about as there may be a charge Every time to reprogram them $$$ :!:

·
Registered
9 Posts
The new TPMS sensors do have to be programmed to the vehicle, it usually costs about an hour of labor to do, and can only be done by a C-D-J dealer, or a tire store with the proper equipment. No harm will be done to the TPMS system by driving around with no sensors. The light will be annoying though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Or you don't put the sensors in the steel rims and save yourself the $200. Just means that you have to check the tires yourself once in awhile instead of the Jeep doing it for you.

·
Registered
360 Posts
One other thing that I should mention about the Valve Stem Air Sensors is that you should never use one of those Pressurized Tire Seal Repair Cans as they destroy the sensors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts