My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Boston Acoutics system and can't figure out where all the 9 speakers are. I can see 7 of them but don't know where the other 2 are.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There are 2 tweeters located on both sides of dashboard, 2 on the front drive and passenger doors,2 on the rear driver and passenger side doors, the 2 fold down speakers on hatch, and subwoofer. lucky! i wanted the boston acoustics sound system haha

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oh whatever, I much enjoy putting together my own system. Got a good deal on a set of four infinties for the doors and theyre all composites, put tweeters in the empty dash spots up front, and built my own speaker boxes and put an eight inch woofer (swoofer, not sub-woofer, there is a difference) and a 250 watt amp under each front seat. The woofers are ollllldddd (like '78 I think) but theyre real nice and it sounds great for what I listen to.

·
Registered
169 Posts
lol, welllll, I could get ones of the woofers and amps, but the door speakers and the tweeters would be hard to do. Lemme see about getting the woofers though.

I painted the speaker box to be a little darker than the interior and if you cant read it, the woofer says MTX Blue Thunder lol They're oooolllddd.

Sorry about the freakin massive images lol

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Massive you say...................like your speakers !!!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
lol, theyre only eight inchers. I dont listen to a bunch of gangster rap and try to make it thump, I'm a hippie. I usually end up listening to Jimi or the Rolling stones lol They sound really nice for applications like that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh whatever, I much enjoy putting together my own system. Got a good deal on a set of four infinties for the doors and theyre all composites, put tweeters in the empty dash spots up front, and built my own speaker boxes and put an eight inch woofer (swoofer, not sub-woofer, there is a difference) and a 250 watt amp under each front seat. The woofers are ollllldddd (like '78 I think) but theyre real nice and it sounds great for what I listen to.
How was it installing the tweeters up front?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Honestly it wasnt too bad. I bought some infinity tweeters online, and got some scrap aluminum from my school, used a torch and cut out some brackets (could of just used a grinder, but heat is just so much faster... and fun ;) ). The panel on the dash that hides the tweeters pops on and off pretty easy. The only real difficult part was getting to the connections for the tweeters. Even though I didnt get the bose system, it still had all the necessary wires already there, so I just installed a crossover for each tweeter and hooked them right up. Eventually I also added a few resistors to each tweeter circuit to get them a little quieter, they were just a tad too loud and I didnt want to have to turn down the treble from the head unit and screw up the tweeters in all of the doors.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would like to do the dash mounted tweeter installation myself as I have the standard system too. You say it was easy to install the dash tweeters. Could you be more specific? These grilles on top the dash, you say they pop off, so what do you use to facilitate that? Do you have to grope around in there for the tweeter wires or they sitting right there? What kind of connectors are pre-run for the tweeters? What sized tweeter speaker did you install, how many "resistors" did you use and what electrical value of same. Much thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would like to do the dash mounted tweeter installation myself as I have the standard system too. You say it was easy to install the dash tweeters. Could you be more specific? These grilles on top the dash, you say they pop off, so what do you use to facilitate that? Do you have to grope around in there for the tweeter wires or they sitting right there? What kind of connectors are pre-run for the tweeters? What sized tweeter speaker did you install, how many "resistors" did you use and what electrical value of same. Much thanks!
Ok, lets take this one part at a time.

TO get the grills off, (which are attached to each other by the way, its the whole panel on top of the dash) you have to pop off the little plastic square things on the pillar on each side and loosen the screw on each side and pop off the panel (2 things here: BE CAREFUL WITH SHARP OBJECTS! There are side airbags in that bitch. Don't set them off, mmk? Next, dont freak out if you drop the screw, you can easily retrieve them after you take the panel off. Now, as for the dash panel itself, just use a flat head screw driver and (carefully) pop off one side, and the rest should be easy. I don't precisely remember where the wire that went to the tweeter was, but I dont remember that it was just a standerd wire, one positive one negetive (I think you'll find most speakers are that way dude >> lol) (at least for car speakers) I installed either 2 and a half inch or 3 inch tweeters, I honestly don't remember lol As for the resistors, you dont really need those, I just put them in because I thought they were a little too loud, but they were 1 ohm resistors and I put three of them in a line. Note: if you do put resistors in, put them in the circut after the cross over, as in, if you follow the connection from the head unit to the tweeter, you want to hit the cross-over first, then the resistors, then your tweeter. You want them after the cross-over as it will deliver a higher sound quality as your cross-overs will be designed to handle a certain electrical range. You can get resistors from your local electronics supply store (ergo, radio shack =D )

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'll pass on the tweeters! I thought you could just pop off the little rectangular tweeter grilles that are on top of the dash and plug them in. Don't want to take a chance with bags and such.:eek:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I ran into that when I removed my pillar and didn't even think of the airbag until I was looking right at it. It's ok as long as you're not abusing it and hitting it with anything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was about to ask the same question about the boston acoustics, I have that as well, and couldn't figure out where all the 9 speakers were!!
Great forum, answers alot of questions, Glad I found it!!!

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Glad we can help........and welcome to the forum.......tell us more about yourself and your ride.

·
Registered
23 Posts
thanks!
well, i'm a jeep loving girl from NB!
My 2008 Compass is a manual, North edition with the NorthPlus Group which includes the leather wrapped steering wheel with audio controls, heated front seats, speed control, the premium sound group with 9 speaker 468 watts Boston Acoustics system, 2 swing down lift gate speakers, sirius satellite radio group, and trailer tow group I also have the painted silver and black rims. I guess that sums it up!
I absolutely love it!!!!!

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
That 's great.......get to 15 posts and you'll be able to post pictures.............AHHHH New-Brunswick.........beautiful place with beautiful people...........been there !!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts