My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I recently picked up a 2018 Jeep Compass. I created this thread after reaching out to our 'JeepCares' representative here on the forum. My intent is to gain as many users reporting this issue as possible, so hopefully Jeep will take it seriously.

Please note: This is NOT the same "dash lights won't dim" issue that was recently addressed. This is for people who can dim their dash lights and nav screen as normal, but when the vehicle is put into reverse, the screen all of a sudden jumps to full brightness.

This quick and intense flash of light causes temporary blindness and is seriously going to get someone injured, if not worse.

I have the Uconnect 8.4" Navigation screen, but I don't know if any of the other screen sizes are affected.

Please post up if you are having this issue as well. Thanks for your time.

Tapatalk won’t let me upload a video so here are some screenshots.

Normal night mode in drive/neutral/park:

Screen immediately going to full brightness, activating the camera, and then settling at about half brightness upon placing transmission into reverse:

·
Registered
832 Posts
That we know of, all of the 8.4's do this. Possibly all of them in all screen sizes. This has already been discussed in other threads and not a single person that I know of has ever reported a successfully dimmed screen for backup camera in the 2nd gens.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is this in response to a recent upgrade? I saw on another forum after a factory reset the camera brightness returned to normal.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this in response to a recent upgrade? I saw on another forum after a factory reset the camera brightness returned to normal.

No, this was not caused by an upgrade or software update. It is just how they came from the factory. Can you tell us more about how to do the factory reset, or even provide the link to the other forum? Thank you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry, probably won't help then. It was on a Cherokee Forum.

New so I can't post links.... Add http

://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-jeep-cherokee-general-discussion/215082-after-u-connect-update-backup-camera-washed-out.html]After]2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums[/url] U-connect update Backup camera washed out. - 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums

·
Registered
71 Posts
x2 or 3 or 4....
Ours does that too.
not to mention sometimes won't dim any of the dash lights (and of course it always works when it's at the dealership)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the easiest answer is every ones is like that. I like it better than the older ones though because at night the older ones were snowy and hard to see the new ones are nice and clear.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the easiest answer is every ones is like that. I like it better than the older ones though because at night the older ones were snowy and hard to see the new ones are nice and clear.

This is still a problem whether everyone's is like that or not. The camera is supposed to be clear, but not bright at night.

If your old ones were snowy, it was either a grounding issue, or the manufacturer just used a cheap camera system.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey guys we just bought our trailhawk on thursday and I find this interesting as the reverse screen on ours is only a little too bright at night but not bad enough to complain about. My wife and I both have issues with getting somewhat temporary blinded at night by cars not dimming headlights or those with misadjusted headlights. So either for some reason we are less sensitive to the screen brightness (unlikely) or ours simply is not as bright as many of yours.

To me this means that their might be a fix for this issue. I think ours had all the newest software installed at the dealer so it might be worth checking into. Maybe JeepCares can use their resources to dig into this and see what's up.

If there is not a software fix I started wondering even before we got our jeep if I could use some type of tinted screen protector to help with this issue. Then one could simply turn the screen brightness up for normal use to offset the tinted screen protector just a thought.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Plus one on full bright. I suspect it is a factory deal. Will investigate update post above...
Hey guys we just bought our trailhawk on thursday and I find this interesting as the reverse screen on ours is only a little too bright at night but not bad enough to complain about. My wife and I both have issues with getting somewhat temporary blinded at night by cars not dimming headlights or those with misadjusted headlights. So either for some reason we are less sensitive to the screen brightness (unlikely) or ours simply is not as bright as many of yours.

To me this means that their might be a fix for this issue. I think ours had all the newest software installed at the dealer so it might be worth checking into. Maybe JeepCares can use their resources to dig into this and see what's up.

If there is not a software fix I started wondering even before we got our jeep if I could use some type of tinted screen protector to help with this issue. Then one could simply turn the screen brightness up for normal use to offset the tinted screen protector just a thought.
Thanks for posting!

Chris, I have the same issue with the temp blindness at night. Strange that the camera screen doesn't affect you. Maybe they did in fact do some kind of software update for it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine goes full bright as well, and I've got the 7" (I think) screen. Fortunately the dash lights dim, but that backup camera is BLINDING.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This isn’t just annoying, it is safety issue.
Our 8.4 screen is so bright that the glare inside the car makes it nearly impossible to use the mirrors in a dark area at night.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine goes full bright as well, and I've got the 7" (I think) screen. Fortunately the dash lights dim, but that backup camera is BLINDING.
This isn’t just annoying, it is safety issue.
Our 8.4 screen is so bright that the glare inside the car makes it nearly impossible to use the mirrors in a dark area at night.
Thanks again for posting. I agree, this is 100% a safety issue and needs to be resolved.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Has anyone tried changing the reverse camera brightness in the engineering mode of uconnect? You can get to engineering mode by holding up and down arrows on driver temp for a few seconds. There's a setting for RVC and I saw a brightness adjust. Default seems to be 50, but I didn't play around with changing the values.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
832 Posts
moira2 said:
Has anyone tried changing the reverse camera brightness in the engineering mode of uconnect?
There's an engineering mode? :eek: Holy crap! There IS! (Just ran a google search) Amazing, I'll probably be sitting out in my car all of lunch hour today.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Has anyone tried changing the reverse camera brightness in the engineering mode of uconnect? You can get to engineering mode by holding up and down arrows on driver temp for a few seconds. There's a setting for RVC and I saw a brightness adjust. Default seems to be 50, but I didn't play around with changing the values.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Great info! I was unaware of this.

There's an engineering mode? :eek: Holy crap! There IS! (Just ran a google search) Amazing, I'll probably be sitting out in my car all of lunch hour today.

https://i.imgflip.com/288p6m.jpg[IMG][/quote]

Please let me know what you find if you decide to play around with this.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts