My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sam - which transmission do you have? There are three different options (6 speed manual, 6 speed auto 4x2, and 9 speed auto 4x4).

It seems that most of the complaints of the driving dynamic is with the 9 speed 4x4. The two six speed options do seem to be a good fit for the car. Like you mentioned, the engine has enough power, you just need the computers, transmission and throttle imput to all be in sync with what you are looking to do. Probably easier with fewer gears or with the manual to be in the right gear and get the right response.

The EPA fuel economy on the window sticker is based on some fantasyland slow driving. You probably need to drive 55 to match their fuel economy, not just on the compass but on any car. Car and driver does a good comparison tests on most cars where they do a 70mph fuel economy test instead. Also don't forget the importance of aerodynamics at speed. Roof racks, crossbars, anything on top will hurt highway mileage.

The gas capacity is fine for me. I am usually range limited by bladder capacity and need to refill caffeine than fuel tank capacity. Larger gas tank eats into cargo room and is also heavier which leads to worse fuel economy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I paid $17,900 for my 2018 Jeep Compass Sport FWD (Auto Trans) after rebates and incentives in April 18. I'm happy with the price and happy with the vehicle. I can tell you that after almost 9 months and 12,000 miles I did just spend $1,400 on 18" rims and tires (but that's for another thread!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I paid $17,900 for my 2018 Jeep Compass Sport FWD (Auto Trans) after rebates and incentives in April 18. I'm happy with the price and happy with the vehicle. I can tell you that after almost 9 months and 12,000 miles I did just spend $1,400 on 18" rims and tires (but that's for another thread!)

Are you going to buy those chrome covers for the black bands that come on top of the windows on all Sport models so that it looks like the Longitude? They are selling them on Aliexpress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 2nd generation Compass goes a lot further than the 1st generation. I'm getting about 400 miles to a tankful. I had a Patriot that only got about 325 to a tank and that was FWD, my Compass is AWD. From what I've seen my range was a lot better than most of the 1st generation.

Not only is the tank larger, but the fuel economy is better. We're winning two ways.
Is anyone else getting close to 400 miles a tank? That would mean gas mileage close to 40mpg? I only get 200ish miles or so on a tank.

·
1,024 Posts
The 2nd generation Compass goes a lot further than the 1st generation. I'm getting about 400 miles to a tankful. I had a Patriot that only got about 325 to a tank and that was FWD, my Compass is AWD. From what I've seen my range was a lot better than most of the 1st generation.

Not only is the tank larger, but the fuel economy is better. We're winning two ways.
Just to buttress my previous post, I averaged 31.5mpg from Memorial Day to Columbus Day. Average. That what me EVIC said and I verified it on paper. A tank with 13 gallons at 31MPG = 403. With the benefit of the fractions its up to 425.

Driving easy on state highways at 50-55MPH I was inching over 34MPG so my 400 mile range is no exaggeration.

Now with winter weather and my snow tires on I'm under 29MPG no matter what I do. Of course there are longer warmups while I melt the ice off the windshield, too. Doubtless the engine uses more fuel until it warms up even while I'm moving. Now we have a computer doing the same thing the old-fashioned choke used to do. Running my heater when its below zero F causes a noticeable drop in engine temperature -- even 20 degrees lower after a few miles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Buy it:
Because it looks good and rides nice for its price. It's really good off road even in the base model without a real locking differential in any model even the Trailhawk. It has a lot of goodies and low cost optional extras. Where else can you get heated steering wheel as standard equipment on a car at this price? The infotainment screen is exceptionally large if you get the Uconnect 8.4" This car has a lot of character inside and out.

Don't Buy It
Because it's plagued with mind boggling electronic glitches which can range from annoying to immobilizing. It has the resale value of a Dodge Stratus. The 2.4 Liter engine is as refine as Larry the Cable Guy. The 9 Speed ZF transmission is better but that's about it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Are you going to buy those chrome covers for the black bands that come on top of the windows on all Sport models so that it looks like the Longitude? They are selling them on Aliexpress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know what you're talking about. I'm not trying to look like any other model so... I'm not sure why you are asking me that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Reasons I liked it before all my problems (2018 Jeep Compass Limited)

Reasons to buy one:
Ascetically pleasing
4 wheel drive is an option
Remote start from my phone using XM Guardian
Heated seats
Nice sound system
The sunroof is dope
Small footprint

Reasons not to buy one:
Small cargo area
All the terrible reviews online about this car and it's laundry list of possible problems (ah just ignore its 2 out of 5 star review you will be fine... ha see below).

---
New Reasons after I bought one and ran away as fast as possible..

Reasons to buy one:
Ascetically pleasing
4 wheel drive is an option

Reasons not to buy one:

Burns copious amounts of oil till it's all gone from the crankcase before the mileage or time period between intervals
More electrical problems than you can shake a fist at (shuts off while driving)
Random transmission surging
way underpowered for it's size
The remote start is nebulous (works when it wants to)
trim starts peeling or delaminating after 10k miles for a ($30k plus Jeep).
sway bars are made of glass and cannot handle stressors of urban driving let alone going off road
laggy 8.4 touchscreen that has tanked quite a few times to the point of having it replaced 2x.

·
1,024 Posts
The negative reviews are discouraging, but the only 'problem' I've had is the oil consumption, and mine isn't as bad as others and seems to be leveling off as the car ages. Once it ran rough at start-up and the "auto-start unavailable" light came on. Just as well, I switch if off as soon as I can anyway. Can't explain why that happened. It was a cold morning, but we've had cold mornings before and since.

The 'professional' reviews on the Jeep Patriot were awful, but mine was a gem.

Websites like this attract lovers and haters. Haters in particular come to find solutions to hard-to-solve problems; lovers enjoy the camaraderie.

As time goes on --especially after it goes out of production -- the site will probably settle down to just aficionados who are here for mutual support.

As for keeping it, as long as it remains 100% reliable, it will live to a ripe old age. I can deal with expected, even premature, repairs. However, if it ever fails to start, or gives me on-going trouble <poof!> it will disappear from my driveway.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts