My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
My 2018 compass Trailhawk windshield developed a crack near the rear view mirror. It's almost longer than 10 inches and not sure what caused that.
I was trying to claim my insurance to replace the glass but the shop that does the work stated, they go for aftermarket parts first.
Question is- just for few hundred bucks, should I go for aftermarket or OEM ? My deductible is $500 so if I choose to go via OEM, I will be paying $500 minimum (comprehensive). But if I go aftermarket like safelite, they are quoting me around $450( without insurance).
Your suggestions please.

·
1,040 Posts
Usually insurance will cover the windshield. Not other glass, but the windshield only. That may depend on your insurance policy.

Personally I'd go with whatever is cheapest.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Make sure whoever is doing the windshield replacement has the ability to re-aim the forward collision camera, rain sensor, lane departure, and other sensors

Lots of articles online about recalibration.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone.
I dont have forward collision and all those fancy stuffs. Only the ambient temp sensor is mounted I think. For aftermarket, I'm worried whether it will come tinted like the one I have.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks everyone.
I dont have forward collision and all those fancy stuffs. Only the ambient temp sensor is mounted I think. For aftermarket, I'm worried whether it will come tinted like the one I have.
Aren't tinted windows pretty much standard in the industry today?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts