My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
I read the reviews and wonder if they are talking about the same vehicle. They typically complain about reliability, interior fit and finish, slow acceleration, and hunting transmissions. My truck is fine in all these areas, gets really good gas mileage, did not cost $30K+, and so far in 15K miles has done a great job reliably hauling and towing all my stuff. Works for me.

·
Super Moderator
1,625 Posts
I read the reviews and wonder if they are talking about the same vehicle. They typically complain about reliability, interior fit and finish, slow acceleration, and hunting transmissions. My truck is fine in all these areas, gets really good gas mileage, did not cost $30K+, and so far in 15K miles has done a great job reliably hauling and towing all my stuff. Works for me.
I think the reliability issues are related to the electronics and the oil consumption problem.

I'm sure the oil consumption generated a lot of visits to service departments for problems they couldn't solve and probably some engines were replaced under warranty -- those had to make the repair record for the drive train look pretty shabby. It took a couple years for FCA to get over their addiction to denial and address the problem. AYK, there is a recall to correct the oil consumption. I expect the recall/update will cut that number considerably.

Electronics are a problem I think they are a ways from fixing. The battery for the start/stop system seems to be anemic, and there are so many unnecessary electronic gizmos, the laws of probability will suggest more problems in these areas. The way computers are programmed is another story, and one little chip gets fried and the whole thing crashes. "If carpenters built houses the way programmers program computers, one woodpecker could destroy civilization."

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can only speak to my own experience of having a 2018 Compass Trailhawk, but I would absolutely NOT buy another one. I've had many issues with it from day 1. From misaligned panels and doors, rattles and noises in the interior, bad sway bar links (twice, every 24K kms), the well known oil-burning issue, software problems, auto stop/start failure, a factory suspension mis-alignment which cause the tires to prematurely wear out at 20K kms... and I'm forgetting/leaving out a number of others. Oh, wait - now there's a new rattle/tap in the engine at low speeds, and a sound like marbles rolling around in a coffee can on cold starts (which I think is a sticking timing chain tensioner).

So, no. I've been a Jeep customer since my first '95 Cherokee XJ though practically every model except the Wrangler, and this Compass is the one that has made me swear off the entire Jeep brand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I would. I purchased a 2021 Compass 80th Anniversary Edition this past January. This is actually my first Jeep vehicle. I was not sure what to expect, and nothing really to compare it too. One is a 2X4 automatic 2.4L Multi-Air engine. Mine has nav, dual air, fog lights, remote start, and a few other features. I love the navigation with the CarPlay interface and the remote start the best. Interior is very nice, comfortable seats, front and back, a million cup holders, a three prong 110 outlet in the rear seating area. The brakes squeak from time to time, which has been documented a lot. The engine stop feature can only be deactivated two ways. Either remove the push down switch on the driver side of the engine bay, where the hood closes, or pay $100 for an OBDII devise that is programmed to deactivate the with. The difference is that the first way illuminates the "A" light on the dash display, and the latter costs $$, but the lights on the dash do not go on. The engine is what was expected from a 2.4L, no surprises there. The acceleration has some lag, the same as I experienced with my MINI Cooper, before I added a Sprint Booster. So, hee, hee, I added a Sprint Booster to the acceleration pedal on the Compass. PROBLEM SOLVED! The instal was a tad more difficult due to the location of the electronic acceleration adapter. Then, there was the issue of figuring out how to disconnect the connection. When all was said and done it really made a difference. All in all I really do like the new Compass and think that it is a very nice SUV for the price. Anyways, I hope that this helps in some way. Best of luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good Afternoon, I am looking to purchase a jeep compass limited. I've been reading the comments, concerns, reviews and I just want to know, when all is said and done... Would you purchase your Jeep Compass again?
Simple answer: no. This is coming from someone who owned a Grand Cherokee before purchasing my 2019 Compass. My option is this is a cheap version of the GC. The materials are cheaper, such as the hard plastics they use on the rear doors and hatch. Mine right now has an air leak in the driver side door- while driving at highway speeds I can hear the air coming in around the window. Storage is minuscule, compared to the Grand Cherokee. And rear cargo is noticeably different. If those things don’t bother you then well I’d say test drive one. See if you like it, but definitely look at those things I mentioned.

One last thing is the engine. It’s very, very under powered. I’ve almost redlined (I don’t think the engine will allow it to go past the redline) mine while trying to get up to highway speed off an entrance ramp. There were only two adults and two children in the car, plus a few small bags for traveling. It’s just a terrible engine. But Iike I said I had a GC with a 3.6L V6 Pentistar engine. Now that engine could move, but the Compass is awful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good Afternoon, I am looking to purchase a jeep compass limited. I've been reading the comments, concerns, reviews and I just want to know, when all is said and done... Would you purchase your Jeep Compass again?
Yes you can’t go on what the reviews say. if I went on the reviews. I would be still deciding.I love my Jeep Compass trail hawk.And the color is spitfire orange..

21 - 26 of 26 Posts