My Jeep Compass Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2018 Jeep Compass a month or so ago and have a little over 4200 miles on it. We haven't had any issues with it until this morning when trying to start it to go to work. Pushed the brake (was abnormally easy to push, never experienced before) and pushed the button to start; nothing. Immediately tried a couple more times, no luck. Gave it a couple minutes and it finally started. Then tonight, driving home from work I noticed ESS wasn't engaging at stops. Checked button next to gear shift to see if it was disabled; nope. What could be causing this? It was around 20 degrees this morning and hasn't gotten any higher than 30 today, could it be the cold weather or something else causing this?

·
Registered
398 Posts
It is probably cold and bad battery. ESS won’t engage if you were heating the cabin. What was ESS status screen showing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
927 Posts
They use the cheapest, crappiest batteries they can find and they let them die during shipping and sitting on the lot. Like Zoner or someone else said recently, a walmart battery is usually better than what they ship them with. My batteries are pretty marginal still and they hate the cold, and we haven't even gotten into the main part of winter yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep, had to replace one fob battery at 12 months, car would intermittently not start and especially if the fob was in a pocket when we were outdoors. was told by dealer this is normal

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had issues with the ESS for a couple months now. Latest I was told is to leave it off for awhile and see if the battery charging goes away and it works,lol. I do that it works a couple times and then back to constant battery charging. Battery has been replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts