My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This looks awesome, I put 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk wheels on my limited and the plan is to add Trailhawk bumpers / tow hooks, plus a 2 inch lift and Eibach springs for additional inch, plus wheel spacers and I’m hoping I can get 245/65-17 tires on it ... will look bad a$$ as a Trailhawk Limited Model (prob adding hood decal too)
Looks really nice! I love the white/black two-tone Compass and those wheels look super clean on it. Looking forward to the rest of the transformation!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a set of Cherokee TrailHawk rims, 17x7.5 31offset. I’m dying to put the Wildpeak Trails on.

My Questions:
1. How much room do you have in the front, between the tire and the spring perch? Was that the limitin factor ?
2. What offset do you have?
3. Do you think I can go the same height, but wider ? I have a stupid good deal on 255/55/18. I’m thinking a 10-15mm spacer, to get the tire away from the rear shock.

1. Clearance between the spring perch and the wheel is very little. (posted in reply #5)

2. I don't know the offset. I had them laying around from my Wrangler so you should be able to research them and find it. (specs in first post)

3. If you have the same offset but a wider wheel then I think the inside clearance should remain the same, right? Not sure about that. At any rate, the outside of the wheel will extend farther out from the center of the vehicle... that means that when you turn full lock you will likely have more tire rub on the inner fender liners.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Darren,
And sorry for the PM.

I looked up your rims, and all the 17’s that match the year span, are 44 & 44.5 offset. So 44-20mm=24mm offset. I don’t have any intent on going that far, but I could get there with 1/2” spacer. If you say that yours rub the outside corners at lock, a bit less offset my be an advantage.
Darren, do you think that size tire would rub the spring perch without the extra offset ? In other words, do you think the spacer puts the tire out far enough, that the tires shoulder radius begins to turn away from the perch. Or does it look like it would fit under the perch.
I think I might just get a few garbage tires temporarily mounted to check.

This looks awesome, I put 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk wheels on my limited and the plan is to add Trailhawk bumpers / tow hooks, plus a 2 inch lift and Eibach springs for additional inch, plus wheel spacers and I’m hoping I can get 245/65-17 tires on it ... will look bad a$$ as a Trailhawk Limited Model (prob adding hood decal too)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheeCleve,
I’ve got that paint scheme and those wheels, (not mounted yet). But man does that look nice! You made me so glad I bought them. What tire is in that photo ? I’m thinking of painting the edges to give a tougher look.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm really not an expert at fitment. I put new wheels on my Wrangler and then had the OEM wheels just sitting around. I held it up to my wife's Compass's wheel hub, used a measuring tape to estimate the thickness of the wheel spacer (and bolt pattern adapter) I would need and ordered three sets in slightly varying thicknesses. (Ordered from Amazon or eBay with free return policies) One fit perfect and the other two sets went back. Then, tires. Once I had the wheels sorted out I estimated the tire size and used a local tire shop to order me a set locally. No risk if they didn't fit, he would mount one tire and if there was too much interference he would just send them back to the warehouse and we could try again. The minimal rubbing we get on the inner fender liner is so slight that it isn't even damaging the liner for over two years.

Best thing to do would have been buying the correct rims , buying junk wheels adapters is just asking for trouble. When the Chinese studs break, wheel bearing starts to howl you're gonna be kicking yourself
As for this response from page one, I already had free wheels and I wouldn't have ordered new wheels otherwise. I've used a handful of different spacers over the years to achieve correct fitment when the wheels available weren't 100% correct. In some cases I used cheap spacers and hated them because I would get vibrations, etc. In the past decade I've only opted for high-quality spacers and have literally had zero issues with any of them. And calling out a foreign country for being lower-quality is just xenophobic. High- and low-quality parts are made all around the world, it really doesn't matter what skin color populates the neighborhood where the factory exists.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts