My Jeep Compass Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm severely not happy! My wifes 2018 Compass Latitude CRD went to the main dealers last week for another attempt to update the Sat Nav which is running mapping from around 2016. Despite the dealer being sent ten, yes ten, usb sticks from Italy
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

we are still stuck with maps that don't include the bridge that was opened here in October 2017. It also went in as the airconditioning had stopped and we were told that was because the condensor radiator had failed. Not being overly impressed that had failed on a car this age, we bit the bullet and had the dealer repair it. By the way we did test that it was blowing cold and hot when we test drove it in May this year. Anyway the car was collected on Thursday last week. Today I've opened the bonnet to check the oil, washer fluid. As I opened it I noticed two grey plastic bits on the wiper blade surround. Yea it was both caps from the air con plumbing valves. Bear in mind we paid £630, @ $850, to have this work done. The front valve cover I just replaced, the back one, not so easy. It's the back of the block there is a bracket in the way and I've got big hands... I don't fancy dropping it as I'm pretty sure it will vanish and become unrecoverable. My wife has e-mailed a complaint over this morning.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the site. How can we help you?
Hi, We both really like our compass, my wifes car she wanted a Jeep as her Father has a Grand Cherokee to replace her Land Rover But we really were not impressed with the level of service from a Jeep main dealer. Having cover caps left in the windscreen surround is not really what we would expect and obviously influences our decision to have any further servicing or maintainance done there. The map update is another issue are we to believe a 3 year old car can not have the mapping updated? Despite various attempts by the dealer we still have 2016 mapping. In two weeks my wife will be asking for a refund as the cashback element of the credit card purchase will expire. Jeep (Italy ) have told us we can not upgrade if that is true then the only option would be a replacment head unit which I belive will cost £2,000 + just for a new unit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, Carl. This site is for Jeep owners and is not connected with Jeep/FCA/Stelantis in any way. If you have questions about how other owners have fixed things, mods you are contemplating, Jeep adventures you've had, or other Jeep talk, this is what we're about. Complaints about your vehicle go nowhere -- it is like talking to your neighbor next door. That said, there may be people on here who have had similar problems to yours and have found a solution. Post a question in the appropriate forum and maybe someone else on here has found a solution. Again, the people on this site are other Jeep owners like you.

There are social media people from Jeep who monitor sites like this. @JeepCares is on this site but I think they only handle US problems. You might reach out to them via PM -- they may have an equivalent in the UK
Complaints do go somewhere. They went to the dealers. People should be aware of the standard of service we received and the fact that it appears to be impposible to update the mapping after being sold a mapping update package on a three year old car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why can there not be a signal sent to the navigation? Why would you even need to go to the dealer.
Good question and here is the answer as I understand it.. For some reason Fiat decided to action the system updates differently here, where as , correct me if I'm wrong, you have over the air updates.
Here we have to upload information from the head unit onto a FAT formatted 16GB+ USB stick, EXFAT & NTFS don't work at all I tried. Then via the Mopar web portal we have to download an appt Called FCA (Fiat / Chrysler Aplication) onto a PC.There is no facility for over the air updates or even by DVD Then in theory you insert the stick into the pc, the FCA should then transfer information onto the stick which you then have to re insert in the car which then updates the software, in theory. The issue is it does load information onto the stick but the FCA application does absolutely nothing there are not even any options to try. A somewhat convulted system even my Garmin GPS will update on the Wi Fi these days. We have been having a conversation with both Jeep (Fiat ) in Italy and the dealer here. To be fair the local dealer has tried very hard to sort it out. I have the opinion there is a flaw and the system in our car can not be updated Fiat told us this in an E-mail that the head unit can not be updated, but then everyone carried on trying to update the software. The dealers persisted and ten USB sticks to update the software were sent from Italy. initially we had 17.5 the dealer updated that to (I think) 26 then the 10 other updates have been added so I think we are on Version 36? Apparently the dealers web portal wouldn't allow then to get the very latest software updates which is why physical usb sticks were sent. After being told the dealer wanted to try uploading some information yesterday to send to technical. Today apparently Jeep has told them there is a fault in the head unit which is why it won't update. A twist on the "unit won't update" Everything else is working fine on the infotainment screen. The dealer informed us of that today and again to be fair to them they said they would see if they could get Fiat to make a goodwill gesture as the warranty expired a few Months ago.

So we can either pay @£2,200 (@$3,000) for a new unit plus fitting and maybe still not be able to update it . Or just buy another Garmin. The thing was obviously you don't have to mess about with suckers and cables and my wife purchased the map update package so we didn't have to. It just seems to not be a great state of affairs when it seems impossible to update the mapping on a three year old car. .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My two cents is that there is no point in updating the built in nav, and no point in paying for built-in nav in the first place on these units that support Android Auto and Apple Carplay. Even if you could get the built-in nav updated, it will be out of date in a flash, and it will still be a poor nav system that doesn't work that great. We have a 2020 Cherokee with nav, we never use it.

Buying a new head unit won't change anything for you I'm sure, and it would be far, far cheaper to get a modern enough smartphone to be able to simply use Apple Maps or Google Maps via Carplay or Android Auto. Maybe you already have a compatible phone. The map apps from the phones are superior in every way. They are constantly updated via simple app updates and even have live traffic and temporary closure info in many cases since its a phone and its connected to the internet. You don't get any of that with the build-in nav. Google's maps are just plain better anyways. The voice control is way better. I'd say just use Carplay or Android Auto and call it a day, worst case you need an updated phone for what... two or three hundred dollars? Way cheaper than a new head unit that will have the same out of date maps...

As for bad service from the dealers well that is nothing new either. In my opinion Jeep has never had good service and probably never will, they are like a troubled foster child that keeps getting passed from one set of foster parents to another (bought and sold over and over again) and they will never have the top level corporate support they need to remotely compete with competitors that have only one or two brands to focus on. My dealer has to service everything from Jeep to Dodge, Chrysler, RAM, Nissan... its obnoxious, a mere oil change takes two hours even if you have scheduled it weeks in advanced and its the first appointment of the day. Either lower you expectations and plan to do more yourself or prepare to just feel the way you feel now for the entirety of your Jeep ownership experience, sorry to say.
All very well, but we don't have data plans on our phones and I have no intention of taking one out which makes navigating by "smart" phone impractical for us.Plus as I'm not 12 I'm not surgically attached to my phone and it regulaly gous missing for days. I'm still using a landline or Alexa as the mopile phone reception here is dreadful. For most of the time changes in roads are limited so mapping can practically be workable for years. I used to work for ordnance survey so I know even the mapping done by them is normally every 3 years or longer. I normally use A Garmin. However you then have wires and mounting fun, and after a bit the unit landing in your lap as you corner and the suction cup fails to suction. The deal my wife had was on offer otherwise we wouldn't have bothered. The other factor was the car has 2016 mapping a new bridge opened here in 2017 and we are not local to this area and there have been major changes to the roads. It only went to the main dealer as the car is relatively new and low mileage to keep the service log main dealer stamped. I normally do most of the maintainance on my vehicles (Ford Focus ST170, Subaru Imprenza WRX STI & Honda VTR1000F ) myself. I'm not under any illusions about main dealer service either. My Father in laws Jaguar went into a main dealers once where they forgot to put the bolts back in the engine undertray which parted company with the car in the middle of Chester. oh and they charged him for filling up his water washer bottle with "Jaguar" screen wash, it was of course full when it went in. Personally if I can't fix it myself I put my cars into an independent garage that's owned by an ex neighbour. In the past I've owned several BMC / Leyland Vehicles and a Land Rover so my expectations are never that high anyway. . .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see your point A. I have CarPlay and with phones replacing everything. The built in Nav will like be a thing of the past and just a big screen and car play. Wonder if CarPlay will work for self driving features?
Really all that is needed is a built in infotainment system that can update via your home wi-fi network and has access to up to date mapping.My GPS unit can do that. Not upload to usb stick. Download FCA appt from the Mopar portal. Put in USB stick and FCA does nothing. Which is what we have. Thing is with so few cars on the road according to DVLA there are 202 other cars of our spec on the road and other versions are similar, there will be no pressure to fix it. We certainly are not going to bother with replacing the head unit, even if was free which I very much doubt will be the case..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't understand why they even put a nav system in a car. Just one more way to jack up the price? I bought a Garmin for little more than a c-note and I can move it from car to car or change a few settings and take it hiking. Mine is so old it can't be updated. It isn't perfect but it gets me close enough that I can find my way. Bridges come and go, but addresses stay put.

Carl, I sympathize. If I'd paid big money for it and it wasn't working, I'd be angry about it too. Maybe Jeep should refund the cost of the unsuccessful repairs. My dealer did that for me when trying to solve an electrical problem (on my old Patriot). Eventually it was fixed and I paid a hefty sum for what turned out to be a major problem. It was finally fixed so I was happy.
Convience. It's built in so no power cables. Or the sat lav in your lap experience when the sucker starts to give up. The issue to me seems to be a flaw in the updating on line software, In the UK we have to upload information from the head unit to a USB stick. On a PC download the FCA appt. Put the USB stick into the PC. All fine. The trouble is FCA does nothing. In theory you then re-insert the USB into the head unit. Now we were not expecting up to the second mapping the main reason my wife purchased the updating was it was a 3 year deal on a discounted price. We have and are now stuck with 2016 mapping. The Mersey Gateway Bridge opened near us in 2017 and there were major changes to the roads around it. We are not local so it's a faff plugging in a sat nav on a local trip although by now anywhere we regularly visit we now know. For the first few weeks we were told by Jeep and the dealer to follow the instructions. Eventually we just went to the dealer with USB and a laptop, the dealer got as far as we did. It then turned into a saga with 10 USB sticks being sent from Italy as apparently the dealer portal couldn't access the latest update(s) In the meantime Fiat had already told us the head unit could not be updated but the saga continued. Yesterday the dealer told us technical had contacted them and told them the unit was "faulty" and that was the issue. Now to be brutally honest I just don't believe that. The unit works absolutely fine apart from not being able to update the mapping. it has accepted the other updates and the function options on the mapping has changed.I was interested to know if anyone else in the UK has been able to update the mapping on their car. The covers being left off the air con plumping was unfortunate timing as I was having a bad day when I discovered it. Now to be fair the dealer apologised and I accept these things happen, so as far as we are concerned that issue is over. The dealer did go out of their way to try and fix the updating issue but admitted to us that they thought Jeep were now giving them the run around. The dealer refunded the purchase price yesterday and we now probably have the most up to date head unit in the uk. I think with the reletively small number of these cars on UK roads Jeep will not resolve the updating issue.
As for the car. We both really like it my wife had a 2004 Land Rover Freelander TD4 before . The Compass is a quantum leap ahead in performance and economy. It's also cheaper to insure and road tax.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So another phone call from Italy yesterday. I again told them I think the mapping issue is down to the FCA appt (in the UK we have to use an appt on a PC there is no over the air updating ) not a faulty head unit. I also again stressed our disappointment at the condenser radiator failed at 3 years and 24 thousand miles. It hasn't been off roaded. Fiat told me they would investigate further Meanwhile my Garmin updated all it's mapping (UK and Europe) it took about 10 minutes plugged into the PC and would have done it over the home Wi-wi except I couldn't find a USB that plugs into the mains

1 - 8 of 8 Posts