My Jeep Compass Forum banner

41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Went with some Wranglers. I live at the New Jersey shore and in the fall/winter off season months were able to drive onto the beach for some surf fishing. The extra traction feels great. Took her up on the beach for the first time yesterday and she handled it with ease. The 4x4 lock in Sand mode is just money.

Heres some pics! Happy to answer any questions :)

https://imgur.com/a/NZKdYFz

side note - switched out for LED head lights and DRLs. Just has a more premium look. Also blacked out all badges and added black door handle covers. Think the black accents looks sweet with the olive green.

Nice! What size are those tires? No issues on bumps? How about increase in mpg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice! What size are those tires? No issues on bumps? How about increase in mpg?

As previously stated, they are 225/70/16's. No issues on bumps and no rubbing whatsoever. Chris is right, another .1" up isn't going to hurt you. There's enough clearance, but its close. I wouldn't go too much larger.

As far as MPG, I believe Chris answered that as well. You're going to lose some city and gain some highway. But it's barely noticeable. I usually average around 25-26 per tank of gas. Which is fine by me. Going 65-70 on the highway and I can clock in around 38-40 MPG if i'm rocking cruise control.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
As previously stated, they are 225/70/16's. No issues on bumps and no rubbing whatsoever. Chris is right, another .1" up isn't going to hurt you. There's enough clearance, but its close. I wouldn't go too much larger.

As far as MPG, I believe Chris answered that as well. You're going to lose some city and gain some highway. But it's barely noticeable. I usually average around 25-26 per tank of gas. Which is fine by me. Going 65-70 on the highway and I can clock in around 38-40 MPG if i'm rocking cruise control.

Would you share with us photos taken from the side to show how much room is still left on the wheel well with your 28.4” diameter tires?
Thank you!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
From all the wheel wells, I am most concerned with the rear ones on the front side of the tire that is too close to the fender as can be seen on this photo. If I go with a 225/65/R17 which adds 1/2” more to the tire radius, will it be extremely close and dangerous to the fender?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had 235/65/17 Aturro Trailblade XTs installed on my 2015 Compass Sport... running stock rims. NO RUB, Very little highway noise. Look and ride great

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So how much clearance do you have left in the rear wheel well?

About 3 cm on the outside where the fender is and just 1/2” in the inside where there is a protrusion in the plastic that covers the wheel well. (On the rear tires)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I finally changed the stock tires for a bigger size 225/65/17 and after 5 days, I had the Low Pressure tires warning on the dashboard. I checked the tires and in fact, they were low. I put more air and kept the 35 psi on the front and 32 psi on the rear, but the readings on the dashboard were 34 psi on the front and 31 psi on the rear. Now, a day later, I start seeing 33 and 30 on one side... seems like they are loosing air? What can it be?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bad/damaged valve stem?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Bad/damaged valve stem?

The car is brand new and the tires I purchased were supposedly brand new as well? Could it be that they were defective? For some reason, the guy at the Continental tire shop traded off the tires with me saying he didn’t want any money in exchange... I am worried now...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Take them back and have them investigate. Shouldn't be any issue if they were properly installed and were new, good tires.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
It is so weird, the tire pressure readings on the dashboard fluctuates all the time. From 35 psi on the front, it goes down to 33 psi and then back to 35 psi some time later. Same on the rear, from 32 to 30 psi and back... what is happening here?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I just went to the tire shop and we submerged the tires in water and no air bubbles were coming up...

·
Registered
180 Posts
You realize there's expansion and retraction when a tire is cold and hot

It is so weird, the tire pressure readings on the dashboard fluctuates all the time. From 35 psi on the front, it goes down to 33 psi and then back to 35 psi some time later. Same on the rear, from 32 to 30 psi and back... what is happening here?

·
Registered
265 Posts

As tires heat and cool the PSI in the tire changes this is very normal and if you have never driven something with a constant tire pressure monitoring system then you have never seen this effect in real time. This is also why often as late fall and winter come in and outside temps drop we end up having to add air to our tires.

Mine tripped the TPMS a few mornings ago for all 4 tires. I drove it for bit because the tires were not that low once warmed up. Both fronts showed like 27 PSI cold and came up to 33 PSI warm. Rears were like 28 PSI and would come up to to around 30-31 warm.

The difference from front to rear has to do with workload on the tires the front has a bit more weight and does the majority of work on the Compass steering,braking and under acceleration. So the fronts heat up first and the most!

After all 4 tires were inflated to 35.5 PSI the fronts will now go up 39 PSI and the rears to like 37 I think. This is the first time I have had a vehicle that constantly displayed tire pressure. I knew this relationship between tire temperature and PSI existed this is the first time I could watch it in action and thought it was kind of cool to watch Again perfectly normal. Something I did discover after the TPMS trips the displayed low PSI and TPMS comes on is that it take a little bit of driving maybe an 8th or so of a mile before the new PSI is displayed and the TPMS warning goes off.

BTW, Tires look great on your Compass!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
As tires heat and cool the PSI in the tire changes this is very normal and if you have never driven something with a constant tire pressure monitoring system then you have never seen this effect in real time. This is also why often as late fall and winter come in and outside temps drop we end up having to add air to our tires.

Mine tripped the TPMS a few mornings ago for all 4 tires. I drove it for bit because the tires were not that low once warmed up. Both fronts showed like 27 PSI cold and came up to 33 PSI warm. Rears were like 28 PSI and would come up to to around 30-31 warm.

The difference from front to rear has to do with workload on the tires the front has a bit more weight and does the majority of work on the Compass steering,braking and under acceleration. So the fronts heat up first and the most!

After all 4 tires were inflated to 35.5 PSI the fronts will now go up 39 PSI and the rears to like 37 I think. This is the first time I have had a vehicle that constantly displayed tire pressure. I knew this relationship between tire temperature and PSI existed this is the first time I could watch it in action and thought it was kind of cool to watch Again perfectly normal. Something I did discover after the TPMS trips the displayed low PSI and TPMS comes on is that it take a little bit of driving maybe an 8th or so of a mile before the new PSI is displayed and the TPMS warning goes off.

BTW, Tires look great on your Compass!!!

Ok, so it is normal to get a tire pressure warning due to this normal fluctuation in temperature. This means temperature can create a differential in air pressure of more than 25%.
The other question I have is that given the fact that I increased the size of my tires from 225/60/17 to 225/65/17, will I have to put less air pressure on my tires? Is there a formula so you know how much less to keep the air volume constant?

41 - 60 of 114 Posts