My Jeep Compass Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Was backing out of my driveway on Friday. Stopped at bottom of driveway to put from R into D. As soon as I put it in D, the Jeep stalled out. When I took my foot off of the break to re-engage the engine, and it did not turn back on, the vehicle was stalled and I lost all power steering, brakes, etc, so it started drifting (I live on a hill) and I had to jam the break pedal to the floor to get it to stop. I had to push the button to restart it and the stop/start error icon was on with the "service stop/start system" message. Over the weekend the light and message went away on its own. Yesterday I took it into the dealership (I believe this makes the 10th trip to the dealership for problems in 8 months) and they said they couldn't find any history of codes showing up for it. I showed them the photo of the message and indicator light ... They were like "we can't fix something that isn't broke bring it in if it happens again and the light is still on". My wife said same thing happened to her back in Sept. The first time she drove it, but I wasn't with her and thought she just wasn't used to the auto start/stop.

It has been one thing after another with this vehicle for me. Thank God this happened backing out of my own driveway and not in traffic somewhere. Since they couldn't find anything, but this is the 2nd time that I am aware of this has happened in 8 months, I am pretty nervous driving it now. Counting the days down to the end of my lease ... first vehicle I've ever leased instead of buying and glad I did lease it ... but if I had bought it, I'd be paying whatever negative equity there is to get out of it at this point ...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
181906TR PCM flash
181905GQ TCM flash

Had the ! icon, now gone after flash updates.
What is a flash update, and can I do it myself or do I need to take it for service?

My aux battery was replaced but its still doing it every couple weeks. I took it in but they "cant" do anything if it doesnt happen for them while its with them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nope. Ran fine, no other weird icons or performance issues, but just not sure if I should be concerned. Because, well, on another note today I had trouble with my interior dash lighting switch and also the icons that show my headlights and foglights being on were not on even though my lights were in fact on. lol

so not sure if this may be an electrical issue I need to address or not.
Same problem, and the fog lights are connected to the fault somehow. Both fog lights work normally when the fog lights are engaged. However, when the autostart error light came on, the drivers side fog light remains on, in all switch settings.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Was your steering wheel turned to the left when you got out and checked?
Same problem, and the fog lights are connected to the fault somehow. Both fog lights work normally when the fog lights are engaged. However, when the autostart error light came on, the drivers side fog light remains on, in all switch settings.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue, and no cold weather. The A! warning light was on for a couple of days, then went away for a few. It's been on for about a week now. The service engine light is also on. When I first open the door to get into the Jeep there is a message on the dash that says the hood is open, but when I start the engine, there is no warning that the hood is open (like if a door is open). The remote start doesn't work, and I cannot put it in 4x4. And lastly, the ambient (outside) temperature isn't working either.

Stopped by the dealership on my way home from work last night and was told there were 3 codes that popped, but they couldn't fully diagnose it as they were busy and to bring it back later. I won't be able to get time off work until next week so we'll see what happens then.

I do not turn the ESS system off, FYI.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was able to disable my auto start stop semi-permanently without any significant issues. (2018 Latitude 4x4)
I took the black hood pin switch (located on the right front when open the hood) and removed it from the location, and laid it down inside the engine bay. I did NOT disconnect it. Just moved it so it wont get pushed in.
I believe that the remote start is tied to the hood latch switch (not this push switch), so once the hood is closed, the remote start functions as it should. I have had no issues with the remote start.
There is the yellow (A!) on the dash, but it is small and easy to ignore. The first few times I drove it, when started it popped up saying the system was disabled, but after a few drives, that message does not show up any more. Just the yellow (A!)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm trying to sort out the random "service ESS" message I get on mine. It comes on randomly, and when it goes away, no code is stored. Of course the dealer is giving me the usual, no code can't figure it out. I think it's the battery as mine has been charging continuously now since January 2nd.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We're experiencing the same issues. December starting getting Service start/stop system ( Battery Charging) from day to day. By January it was on all the time and not functioning. Took it to the dealer and waited for over 4 hours to be told we changed the auxiliary battery and put a battery sensor on order, all should be fine other than maybe the Start/stop. 5 minutes after leaving the dealer the check engine light comes on. I return to dealer and was told it's ok we'll clear the code when you bring it back for the sensor. Next morning my wife is driving to work and it shuts off at light but doesn't restart on it's own. Wife has to put in park and press the start button to get it running. That night when she starts it a bunch of dash lights come on, service engine, service 4wd, service Start/stop. On the way home car shuts off at the light and again doesn't restart on it's own, again into park and restart with the button. We now refuse to drive it any longer until the sensor comes in and we see how it runs. Paying a lease payment on a car that is unsafe to drive and is sitting in our driveway, sad!

·
Registered
87 Posts
The "AUTO START/STOP! " indicator came on 4-5 times for me when it's really cold and goes away when I restart the car. No issue with its function thus far.

·
Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
I think it was the first cold morning of the season -- maybe back in November when the temp dropped to around zero F. My Compass started but ran rough and gave me the yellow warning light. Since it was running so rough it didn't surprise me that the auto-start turned itself off. After a warm-up (2 min) the idle smoothed out but the auto-start warning stayed lit. I shut off the "feature" anyway (as usual). I drove to the city thinking if it gave me trouble that's where my dealer is so help wouldn't be far away. After my first stop it ran fine and I never got the warning again. I've had significantly colder temperatures since (-20F) on many mornings, and its started no problem and I haven't seen the warning light again.

Frequently if I toggle my EVIC up to that, it will say either "outside temp too cold" or "engine temp too cold" for auto start. Knowing that this device is a way of artificially boosting fuel economy, and knowing that the engine gets better fuel economy at warmer temperatures, turning off the engine when its already running colder than optimum would be counter-productive to fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My start/stop! indicator comes on once it a while and goes off after a restart. The "regular" start/stop not ready comes on whenever it's cold outside and the heater fan has to keep blowing.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My start/stop! indicator comes on once it a while and goes off after a restart. The "regular" start/stop not ready comes on whenever it's cold outside and the heater fan has to keep blowing.
Same here, A! occasionally comes during cold start ups, more so if it is cold and wet (all the time it happened to me, there was freezing fog). If I turn the engine off and restart it, it goes away, even if I do it immediately. I assume it has to do with with starter pulling a lot of juice from the battery during a cold crank up and the battery not recovering fast enough, before the auto start\stop diagnostics starts. So the diagnostic procedure thinks the battery isnt charging, or the charge level is below optimal values. Ideally, they should have made the diagnostic start a little later, in order to give battery enough time to recover after cranking the engine.

·
Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
Same here, A! occasionally comes during cold start ups, more so if it is cold and wet (all the time it happened to me, there was freezing fog). If I turn the engine off and restart it, it goes away, even if I do it immediately. I assume it has to do with with starter pulling a lot of juice from the battery during a cold crank up and the battery not recovering fast enough, before the auto start\stop diagnostics starts. So the diagnostic procedure thinks the battery isnt charging, or the charge level is below optimal values. Ideally, they should have made the diagnostic start a little later, in order to give battery enough time to recover after cranking the engine.
In my case, I think the engine was running so rough the auto start probably wasn't sure it could restart it. I agree, leave well enough alone. As it was, the roughness smoothed out very shortly and hasn't been a problem since. I still wonder why that one time it started so poorly. Only that one time and I couldn't think of a reason at the time nor now. Its started just fine under far worse circumstances.

·
Registered
398 Posts
In my case, I think the engine was running so rough the auto start probably wasn't sure it could restart it. I agree, leave well enough alone. As it was, the roughness smoothed out very shortly and hasn't been a problem since. I still wonder why that one time it started so poorly. Only that one time and I couldn't think of a reason at the time nor now. Its started just fine under far worse circumstances.
Was it early in winter. Maybe you had summer blend gasoline. Sometimes, some gas stations are slow to switch to winter blend if they have a very large storage tank (or if the turnover is slow). So they an continue selling summer blend for the early part of winter, until they completely sell that and restock with winter blend gasoline. Summer blend gasoline cause rough starting in cold temperatures.

·
Super Moderator
1,463 Posts
Was it early in winter. Maybe you had summer blend gasoline. Sometimes, some gas stations are slow to switch to winter blend if they have a very large storage tank (or if the turnover is slow). So they an continue selling summer blend for the early part of winter, until they completely sell that and restock with winter blend gasoline. Summer blend gasoline cause rough starting in cold temperatures.
I like that idea. It was in November I think. As the song says, "the gales of November came early" with sub-zero temps. Likely next time I filled up the station had switched over.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I like that idea. It was in November I think. As the song says, "the gales of November came early" with sub-zero temps. Likely next time I filled up the station had switched over.
Months like November are always tricky in terms of type of gasoline. At least summer gasoline is still "usable" in winter accept for the first few minutes of starting.

Same thing once happened to me on a direct injection diesel engine. Unlike gasoline, diesel freeze (to be more precise turn into slush or gel-like) at ~15 F, winter diesel has additives to prevent that. Normally, gas stations are required to sell diesel with freezing point around 6 degrees below the mean historical minimum of that month (or maybe week).

However, in my case, I haven't been using that car often, so the summer diesel remained in the tank up until December. Then it fell below -15 F and diesel froze within the injectors, fule lining, etc. Couldn't start the car and we had to tow it to a closed heated garage.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts