My Jeep Compass Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
And THAT ^^^ is a big part of the reason why. I have not had that particular glitch, but I have had similar glitches occur when racing the computer for something such as re-starting the car after hopping in it and killing it by trying to put it in gear before hitting the start button (remote start had engine already running, too much on my brain at the time).

I hope hope hope the ESS kill on the AlfaOBD app works. If so I am going to be saved a lot of future embarrassment. It is pure lameness when the ESS kicks in. Passengers ask me worriedly "what happened? why did the car die??" and I have to tell them its on purpose...

Its just not a smooth, well implemented system and I get no benefit from it whatsoever, and throw on top of that the risk of running into something like what happened to PR325xi... hell no. One way or another, that component of this car has got to go (for me).
I just removed the hood pin and now i dont have to worry. Let us know if the app works for that though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I go in tomorrow morning for this issue. They tell me it's the hood sensor and had to order it. So I guess we will see tomorrow if it gets fixed or not.

·
Registered
141 Posts
ok, auxillary battery number 4 installed today , the previous 3 all failed, what are they buying? ESS works for a few days then back to always battery charging.
Then the dealership isn't looking at the right part. I had a fully charged battery, and the sensor was stuck at 55% state of charge. I would have them compare the ACTUAL state of charge of the battery and compare it against what the sensor is telling the computer. Another thing that would be putting you in this condition legitimately is, if you're one that drives only a few miles per day and shuts the car off. The battery will not get a chance to properly charge, and will stick you in the continuous battery charging cycle. If this is the case, then there is little that can be done about it beyond getting it out on the highway for a looooong drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m having the same issues, stating service start stop system. Both batteries were tested and good, anyone know what else I could check to determine why the system went out? Are there any fuses that could have blown etc... also I was trying to check fuses yesterday but I couldn’t seem to fit my hand between the fuse box to pull them out correctly since it’s such a tight fit. Is there a trick to gaining easier access to the fuses since they are on the side of the box and not on top like any other car I’ve had??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 Jeep Compass Limited and have had transmission/engine issues that started at 8,000 miles. It started with a weird fan noise coming on when going between 40-45mph and now it has moved to lower gears. I have had it in the shop 6 different times and 2 different dealers and they keep saying they fixed it but now the stop/start is not working with the icon coming up saying it needs service. Has anyone experienced this? I have a claim out with a lawyer to the manufacturer because I am close to end of warranty and worried I will end up with a major issue down the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my 2018 Compass 5 days ago and havent had any weird icons or errors show up until this morning. In the middle of the dash right above the coolant temp gauge, the auto start/stop icon appeared with an "!" next to it.

Has anyone gotten this at all? Is it cause for alarm or am I being paranoid? LOL

Thanks!
This seems to be a common problem with these Jeeps. I don't think it's a major issue, but ours does it too. Every so often the light comes on. Next time we start it the light goes off. The start/stop feature doesn't work when that light is on, and most other times it doesn't work now. We only have 7500 miles on it. We called the dealer about it and they said we can't diagnose it unless the light is on. Of course you know when you take it there the light is not going to come on so we didn't bother. Besides, we hate the start/stop feature and am glad it doesn't work. One day my wife drove it and got a message saying the parking brake needed service. Called the dealer and they said oh, it's probably just cold. Bring it in if the light comes on again. Which it never did. Personal opinion, these newer Jeeps have a lot of electrical issues. Ours is leased and will be turned back in to Chrysler at lease end. We are done with Jeeps, went to a Nissan Rogue. While we haven't driven it much, we like it much better than the Jeep. More room, smoother ride, better features for the money and NO stupid start/stop feature. You should be allowed to just shut that darn thing off anyway. Good luck with yours though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had mine in to have my problem troubleshooted. Mine was narrowed down to the battery state of charge sensor. It was stuck at 55% even with a fully charged battery. New one on order.
I'm wondering if this is my issue too... I have always had issues with my start/stop and it constantly says battery charging and start/stop not ready etc etc. i think the thing's actually only worked right maybe five months out of the 2+month lease so far. It's more annoyance than anything but I've had two batteries replaced once and recharged again twice. No one mentioned a sensor

·
1,132 Posts
My start/stop will go on the fritz maybe once every two months. It usually corrects itself the next time I start it.

When it's cold -- below zero F -- I frequently get a message that it's too cold for the start/stop to operate. Curiously I was out one morning at -30F and I got the too cold warning. I went to church and when I came out it was still -20F and the start/stop warning was gone. Maybe its just the engine temp and not the outside temp?

Frankly I think the start/stop 'feature' is more of a drawback, even a safety issue. Not that I should be diving into traffic but sometimes I have to and then hesitation could result in an accident. Most times I just turn it off after I start up. Seems I'm only saving a couple drops. I know, I know -- if a million cars all save a spoonful then it adds up to several gallons nationally.

·
Registered
29 Posts
haha i agree! i've had it engage at the last minute while at a light and then I lift my foot off to go and it takes some time to actually move forward.
And I'm not sure where you're from, but damn minus any temp sounds horrible!! lol

·
1,132 Posts
haha i agree! i've had it engage at the last minute while at a light and then I lift my foot off to go and it takes some time to actually move forward.
And I'm not sure where you're from, but damn minus any temp sounds horrible!! lol
New Hamspshire. Fortunately my Compass is sheltered in a barn so it's not quite as cold in there. And thankfully no starting problems.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts