My Jeep Compass Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2018 compass limited and have had the issue with my Jeep starting before my very first oil change, here we are 2 yrs. later and my compass is finally in the shop having a new engine put in. I’m just disappointed that it took this long with many visits to the dealer to finally fix it. I almost feel like they waited long enough that it wouldn’t qualify for the lemon law due to mileage.
yeah same here 2018 trailhawk .. but guess what? I had a new engine put in 3 months ago at 15.5k miles and today I Checked and I'm completely dry At 17k in my case even a brand new engine did absolutely nothing.
Lemon law time. I cannot trust Jeep or anyone that works with them at this point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On my monthly vehicle health report it indicated that there was a recall issued. Clicked on the link and it states that it is for oil consumption on the 2.4 and will be fixed with a computer flash lol
Yes, I just had mine done. It explains it all if you look it up. It has to do with changing the timing of the engine. Mine went smoothly and all is running fine. I did not have much of an oil issue to begin with but I will keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
1,440 Posts
Yes, I just had mine done. It explains it all if you look it up. It has to do with changing the timing of the engine. Mine went smoothly and all is running fine. I did not have much of an oil issue to begin with but I will keep you posted.
Did they advance or retard?

Seems to me that timing will affect a lot of things, notably fuel economy and valve longevity.

Oh, @Jjenkins, I see you're new here. Welcome! Please drop over to the newbie threads and greet the others. We've got a nice bunch on here!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually, my engine made kind of a ‘dieseling’ noise at low acceleration, it seems to have fixed that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Jeep Compass Sport with just over 27,000 miles. I have been adding a quart of oil every 1,100 to 1,200 miles since I purchased it last year with 18,000 miles on her. I have been continuously daily checking the oil, so I have not seen any low oil pressure lights on the dash. Of course the dealer says anything over 1 qt. per 1000 miles is "normal" oil usage.
Today I got a letter from FCA addressing this issue "Recommending the following improvements" to my compass, they are going to change the current engine calibration strategy by reprogramming the PCM. How this will stop an engine from burning oil is to be seen.
As has been said earlier, at least they are addressing the issue. My appointment has been made, we'll see what happens.
Ed

·
Super Moderator
1,440 Posts
I have a 2018 Jeep Compass Sport with just over 27,000 miles. I have been adding a quart of oil every 1,100 to 1,200 miles since I purchased it last year with 18,000 miles on her. I have been continuously daily checking the oil, so I have not seen any low oil pressure lights on the dash. Of course the dealer says anything over 1 qt. per 1000 miles is "normal" oil usage.
Today I got a letter from FCA addressing this issue "Recommending the following improvements" to my compass, they are going to change the current engine calibration strategy by reprogramming the PCM. How this will stop an engine from burning oil is to be seen.
As has been said earlier, at least they are addressing the issue. My appointment has been made, we'll see what happens.
Ed
Pleeeze oh pa-leeeze keep us posted!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 2018 Jeep Compass Sport with just over 27,000 miles. I have been adding a quart of oil every 1,100 to 1,200 miles since I purchased it last year with 18,000 miles on her. I have been continuously daily checking the oil, so I have not seen any low oil pressure lights on the dash. Of course the dealer says anything over 1 qt. per 1000 miles is "normal" oil usage. Ed
just a side note, the minimum usage is 1qt per 2,000 miles Your dealer should be doing an oil consumption test also, before the warranty runs out...

SUBJECT: Engine Oil Consumption Guideline 2017 model year from TSB 09-007-15 (should be the same for 2018 models)
The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles listed above is 1 quart (0.946 liter) in 2,000 miles (3,200 km) for the 1st 50,000 miles (80,467 km). For vehicles with more then 50,000 miles (80,467 km) the acceptable oil consumption for engines is 1 quart (0.946 liter) in 750 miles (1,207 km).

"Checking Oil Level
To assure proper engine lubrication, the engine oil must be
maintained at the correct level. Check the oil level at
regular intervals, such as every fuel stop.
Checking the oil while the vehicle is on level ground, and
approximately five minutes after a fully warmed engine is
shut off, will improve the accuracy of the oil level readings.
Maintain the oil level between the range markings on the
dipstick. The safe range is indicated by a crosshatch zone.
Adding 1 quart (0.9 Liters) of oil when the reading is at the
low end of the indicated range will result in the oil level at
the full end of the indicator range."

·
Super Moderator
1,440 Posts
SUBJECT: Engine Oil Consumption Guideline 2017 model year from TSB 09-007-15 (should be the same for 2018 models)
The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles listed above is 1 quart (0.946 liter) in 2,000 miles (3,200 km) for the 1st 50,000 miles (80,467 km). For vehicles with more then 50,000 miles (80,467 km) the acceptable oil consumption for engines is 1 quart (0.946 liter) in 750 miles (1,207 km).
NO IT'S NOT! Sez who? Sez them. It's acceptable only by the standards they set. Frankly, 5000/quart is what I'd expect from any engine under 200,000 miles. Granted a brand new engine might use a quart in its first 1000 miles, that's to be expected until it's thoroughly broken in. After that it shouldn't consume, leak, or otherwise use any oil at all. My 2018 Compass (bought new) was the first vehicle I ever owned that couldn't get between oil changes without adding some. I've taken most vehicles over 100,000 and several over 250,000 miles: never did I have to add more than a quart and that was rare -- might have been a short fill to start with.
  • My 2014 Patriot 2.0 is at 150,000 and doesn't use a drop
  • My 2008 Patriot 2.4 went to 275,000 and used 1/2 quart between changes only after 250,000.
  • My 2001 Pontiac 3.8 used about a quart in 3000 miles but only after 200,000 miles.
  • My 2019 Compass is at a mere 40,000 and doesn't use any oil between changes, so it proves Jeep is capable of getting it right. Some just got a sloppy build.

·
Registered
62 Posts
sorry about leaving the copied statement in heavy bold, it wasn't meant to imply adding 1qt/2,000 miles oil was acceptable. I corrected the text.

·
Registered
198 Posts
At 12.5K miles and a year and a half of ownership on our 2019. I have been checking the oil level every month and from the very beginning the truck has used oil at a rate of around 5K miles per quart. I did not see much of an initial higher break-in rate.

·
Super Moderator
1,440 Posts
At 12.5K miles and a year and a half of ownership on our 2019. I have been checking the oil level every month and from the very beginning the truck has used oil at a rate of around 5K miles per quart. I did not see much of an initial higher break-in rate.
I'd call that marginally acceptable. You can at least make it between oil changes without adding any.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'd call that marginally acceptable. You can at least make it between oil changes without adding any.
I'll take it...I feel so sad for the owners that get only a few K. So glad I did not buy the used 2017 model I was looking at.

·
Super Moderator
1,440 Posts
I'll take it...I feel so sad for the owners that get only a few K. So glad I did not buy the used 2017 model I was looking at.
I wonder if many of the 2017s & 2018s that are arriving on used car lots could be oil burners -- people just gave up on them and traded out. I'm still not sure if maybe FCA got their act together by the third model year or if the oil consumption problem persists.

·
Super Moderator
1,440 Posts
I just got the recall on my 2018 that I no longer own. That did have a touch of the oil problem, but not as bad as some others have reported.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm still not sure if maybe FCA got their act together by the third model year or if the oil consumption problem persists.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahahahHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahha.....ah.ah....ah ah.... it hurts... the mere idea... FCA got their... HAH... oh... good one! So hilarious...

·
Super Moderator
1,440 Posts
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahahahHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahha.....ah.ah....ah ah.... it hurts... the mere idea... FCA got their... HAH... oh... good one! So hilarious...
I'm sorry if I made you choke on your corn flakes. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Jeep Compass Latitude
224 Posts
I just read the following explanation, on the Allpar forum, by an FCA representative (the equivalent to @JeepCares on this forum) about how the software update addresses the issue:

OfficialMopar said:
Hello, the oil consumption concerns are caused from vacuum being created in the cylinders during deceleration. Software changes the events, internal to engine, that lead to creation of vacuum.
If you need any help setting up an appointment, feel free to let us know.

Kaitlin
Mopar Cares
Jeep Cherokee Oil Consumption TSB/Recall

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
OfficialMopar said:
Hello, the oil consumption concerns are caused from vacuum being created in the cylinders during deceleration. Software changes the events, internal to engine, that lead to creation of vacuum.
Hmmmmmm I don't know about that one...

21 - 40 of 48 Posts