My Jeep Compass Forum banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Jeep Compass Latitude
274 Posts
Yes. My Jeep Compass is equipped with an oil level sensor. It has gone off once...
What did the low oil indicator look like? Was it a warning light or a message displayed on the instrument panel?

Also what year is your Compass?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yes. My Jeep Compass is equipped with an oil level sensor.
No, it is not. None of them have an oil level sensor. You are simply mistaken.

You have an oil pressure sensor, which is not the same thing, and cannot be effectively used to indicate the level of oil in the engine. When the oil pressure sensor goes off due to the sump running dry you are already dangerously low on oil. The purpose of the oil pressure sensor is not to alert the driver that the engine requires the oil topped off, it is to protect the motor from irreparable damage due to total lack of lubrication. It is intended for total oil loss scenarios such as "mechanic forgot to put new oil in after draining the old oil out" or "all oil leaked out due to a tear in the oil pan", or, in very rare cases it would also step in if the oil pump mechanically failed, but that is practically unheard of on a properly maintained motor.

There is no OEM device in engines equipped in Jeep Compasses that is measuring the level or quantity of oil in the engine. The only provision for that is the dipstick, which obviously has to be checked manually, as prescribed in the owner's manual.

I didn’t even KNOW that Jeep compasses had issues with oil consumption, or I wouldn’t of bought it.
Apparently you also didn't know about the internet or do a lick of research before purchase. That's your problem. If I had a dollar for every thread on this god-forsaken forum over the last three years of people complaining about their Compass running out of oil... not to mention the hundreds (if not thousands) of posts on every other forum of Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler cars that have used this 2.4L motor since 2013... My Compass would be pretty-near paid off, which would be awesome because mine doesn't even seem to have the oil problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would any of you recommend getting the service done regardless if your jeep is having oil consumption issue or not?

·
Super Moderator
1,625 Posts
Would any of you recommend getting the service done regardless if your jeep is having oil consumption issue or not?
They may do it anyway the next time you bring it in for service. See post #49 in this thread.

I got the letter for my 2018 but that is gone (wrecked) :cry:. That one did have the oil consumption problem. I've not gotten a letter about my 2019 but this one isn't an oil sucker** like my late 2018 was. It may use a little and I check the oil weekly. Once burned is twice shy.

** I've switched from calling it an oil burner to calling it an oil sucker, based on FCA's explanation of the oil consumption problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,625 Posts
There is no OEM device in engines equipped in Jeep Compasses that is measuring the level or quantity of oil in the engine. The only provision for that is the dipstick, which obviously has to be checked manually, as prescribed in the owner's manual.
Ah, but we do have an oil temperature gauge! :ROFLMAO: What a waste of technology.:rolleyes:

@misskassidyxo, bless her heart, does make a good point: an oil level sensor would be a bright idea in any vehicle because many people never lift the hood. Even more so, considering the looser tolerances and thinner oil in these new engines. Unless they used some fantastic alloys in the cylinder walls and piston rings I suspect many Tigersharks (Kittenfish) engines will start burning oil years before their ancestors would have. If I were a mechanic I'd take a class in ring jobs -- I gotta figure they'll be in fashion soon.

As for the rest of your post, I knew I could leave it to you to say what I was thinking. Truthfully, even I had to revise a few times.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had the W20 programming done and do not notice much of a difference. It could be all in my head but the biggest difference was when decelerating to a stop, there was less of a winding noise, but again this could just be me wanting to hear that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ive owned a 2018 compass trailhawk for the better part of 2 years now , have had valve body go a bad ground that lead to frying 2 radiators and after being tboned earlier this year i was told by the mechanics after they ran my vin it came back with the pcm recall .. Jeep compass the vehicle that keeps on giving.. you problems. LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apparently certain conditions cause the engine to draw a vacuum that must suck oil into places it shouldn't go. The software is supposed to reprogram the engine to avoid this. @georgef turned up this post on another automotive thread: Jeep Cherokee Oil Consumption TSB/Recall Sounds credible to me, but I'd love to hear from those who have had the update done. Did it cut oil consumption? Was there a trade-off in performance?
I had the oil consumption problem when I would drive back and forth to and from work, city driving with stop and go traffic, on long highway trips there would be no noticable oil consumption. I would go thru a quart every 1100 to 1500 miles or so. I got the recal letter from FCA and made the appointment. It's been over 2 weeks and about 1000 miles of stop and go driving, and it does seem that the problem is resolved. I have not noticed a drop in the oil level. It also seems that my Compass used to make the common groaning noise when you reach around 32 mph. If you turn off traction control the noise goes away and returns when you turn it back on. The reflash raised the speed that the noise comes on to about 45 mph or so. Less noticable during normal driving due to other road noises LOL. There are no other changes that I have noticed either in performance, or gas mileage. We'll have to wait and see if others who have had this flash done are also seeing less oil consumption.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is where my 2018 Compass is headed. Lease over.. Good luck to the next owner.

I wonder if many of the 2017s & 2018s that are arriving on used car lots could be oil burners -- people just gave up on them and traded out. I'm still not sure if maybe FCA got their act together by the third model year or if the oil consumption problem persists.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well I took mine in for a last ditch effort to solve the 18 mph shake (since my ODO it at 99970). This time I had a person riding with me from the dealer, and luckily he felt the vibration also. I told him that I was relieved that I was not going crazy, lol
I expected to utilize the shuttle service to take me home. Low and behold the write up guy said I needed the W20 recall done also, and because of that, I get a loaner car. SCORE!

So hopefully they determine that the vibration is warranty related ( I did mention excessive movement in my carrier bearing), then they will cover the rental longer.

I did not notice any abnormal oil consumption in my Compass to begin with, but I figured it "should" not really effect anything else....I hope!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the link.

Did anyone else notice the only Compasses it applies to is the 2018 model year?

I also noticed the "Customer Satisfaction Notification" number is W20, it would have been more fitting if it had been 0W20.
Got same notice for my 2019 cherokee 2.4 so far wasent burned any oil seance had it done I think it alters the valve timing to reduce vacuum in cylinders in stop and go driving
Please let me forgive my spelling small phone screen

·
Super Moderator
1,625 Posts
Got same notice for my 2019 cherokee 2.4 so far wasent burned any oil seance had it done I think it alters the valve timing to reduce vacuum in cylinders in stop and go driving
Please let me forgive my spelling small phone screen
Yes. In fact I was just thinking about that today. I had a 2018 Compass that was wrecked and I replaced it with a 2019. I got the recall notice for the 2018 but not for the 2019.

My guess is that someone came up with the solution and the problem has been addressed during the manufacturing process ever since. Presuming this happened in 2018, then the 2019s didn't need the recall/update.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Going back to the dealer, as the $170 wheel balance did not fix the 18 mph shake (didn't think it would). Supposed to go for a ride with the service manager to get his input tomorrow. I guess I can rate his B.S. classes he took to be service manager, lol Hafta see how he compares to the lines of B.S. the Ford dealer gave me a while back......"they all do it"

Sorry to fit this into the "oil burning" discussion. figured I could continue where I left off with my last post. As for the W20 recall, I don't know it is a coincidence, but now my remote start does not function on occasion. Message tells me, I have to start it with the inside button to reset the remote start. First time that ever happened since I have owned it, and it just started when I picked her up after the recall and "golden tire balance".

·
Registered
1 Posts
All cynicism aside, at least they are acknowledging the problem and not just saying "it's normal." Maybe they can make a low oil warning appear on the dashboard. People who drive new cars usually ignore the dipstick so a warning light would be helpful. Those of us who have or have had older vehicles know to check the dipstick on a regular basis.
My 2019 cherokee 2.4 was using 2 quarts between 5000 mile changes Got the update did around a month ago.Put around 1500 miles on it since so far still on the full mark.I think part of the reprogram alters the valve timing to reduce vacuum in the cylinders in stop and go driving.

·
Super Moderator
1,625 Posts
My 2019 cherokee 2.4 was using 2 quarts between 5000 mile changes Got the update did around a month ago.Put around 1500 miles on it since so far still on the full mark.I think part of the reprogram alters the valve timing to reduce vacuum in the cylinders in stop and go driving.
Welcome to the site! I think your understanding is consistent with the official explanation.

While many manufacturers are dealing with high oil consumption, I didn't realze that Cherokees were having that problem. Some on this site have been touting the superiority of the Cherokee because it wasn't having this problem. Then again, it has the same 2.4 motor so we can't be surprised. I'm glad to hear that the update is apparently working for Compasses, and Cherokees, too.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Welcome to the site! I think your understanding is consistent with the official explanation.

While many manufacturers are dealing with high oil consumption, I didn't realze that Cherokees were having that problem. Some on this site have been touting the superiority of the Cherokee because it wasn't having this problem. Then again, it has the same 2.4 motor so we can't be surprised. I'm glad to hear that the update is apparently working for Compasses, and Cherokees, too.
We also don't know how many of those not reporting high oil consumption have the V6 engine,

·
Super Moderator
1,625 Posts
We also don't know how many of those not reporting high oil consumption have the V6 engine,
True. We don't know what we don't know. Sites like this attract lovers and haters, or at least people with problems. People in between just ignore us. Oh well.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts